Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The great shopping hunt

Default The great shopping hunt

After nearly a yr here I've come to realize that you can buy almost everything if you are willing to spend the time driving around looking for it and willing to pay the price. However there are some things that I still can't track down so I thought I would start a shopping hunt thread where we could post items we are looking for and if anyone sees them they could post where to find them.

So my wish list is this:-

whole nutmegs
    marzipan (the proper ground almond stuff not almond flavoured icing)
    detox or any tant free smell free disinfectant

I live in hope.
    Debbie

Definately seen whole nutmegs....just can't remember where, most likely a supermarket though.

Can't say I've looked for the other two, but will look out for marzipan as it won't be long before it time to start on the Christmas cakes

Milliemoo

I get whole nutmegs from New World in Vic Park. They are with the other spices and herbs, but are in a jar with a black label on a low shelf, rather than being with the normal Greggs, Pams etc.

I haven't found marzipan - but I make my own using ground almonds. I can post you a recipe if you'd like. (I found this easier than searching high and low for the stuff - the almond icing is rank and horribly sweet!)

Can't help on the deodorant though sorry.

ooohhhhh would love your marzipan recipe

Milliemoo

Yes please for the Marzipan recipe .

And Debbie, have looked for taint free disinfectant for you everywhere but still haven't found any. Can you bribe anyone sending a container over to pack some for you ??

Debs

Yes please to the marzipan recipe. My dad will be here for Xmas and I always make him a huge box of marzipan sweets so the icing stuff will just not do.

I did'nt realise how much I would miss Detox.

Also has anyone seen kirch, I tried to find some for a black forest cake and non of our local shops did it. Failing that I'll get a bottle brought in by dad as duty free.

Debbie

I use Kirsch in fondues and I had to ring around a fair few Liquorlands and Liquor Kings before I found a bottle in Chch. But I did find one (Hornby if anyone is interested)! They were all very friendly, punting me on to other stores if they couldn't help!

Oh, whole nutmegs! I haven't found them in the Howick/Botany area at all, even New World. Will keep looking...

Gil wrote:

Oh, whole nutmegs! I haven't found them in the Howick/Botany area at all, even New World. Will keep looking...
    I couldn't find them in Devonport last Christmas ..... the bread sauce missed them

Cheers

Tia

If any one else has a shopping wish list post it here and I will keep an eye out for you.
    Thanks for the help so far, hopefully with Kerry's marzipan that will be one thing achieved.
    I've looked in all the N.shore supermarkets I've tried and no nutmeg but it is obviously out there somewhere.
    Now to the detox. I think I will have to start writing to the manufactor and tell them of a product opening in NZ.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast