Thread: Where to live in Auckland? Most likely working in central city

Default Where to live in Auckland? Most likely working in central city

Hi All

Myself and my husband are planning a move to Auckland in June next year (we are Brits but have been living in the US for the last two years). I have a job offer from an accountancy company and will be most likely be working in the centre of the city, with occasional travel to other areas of the Auckland area.

How is the city centre living in Auckland? We are in our late twenties/early thirties and do not have children and would like to be close to both work and bars/restaurants/nightlife etc. Do many people live in the centre or is it mainly business? We are probably looking to rent a two bed apartment.

We would also like to know of any areas, close the the CBD that would be good to live in/and or those to avoid! I understand that traffic in Auckland is a bit of a nightmare therefore we are trying to find the best location to minimise travel time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us!

Hi
    There are some great places fairly near to the CBD. Your best bet is to order this book. They will send it to anywhere in the world( Takes about 5 days. It is worth its weight in gold full of every area in Auckland.
    http://www.wheretoliveinauckland.co.nz/

Hope this helps

Dave and Caroline

That book also good to read if in the near/far future you would buy a house or property.

Speaking of close area from CBD probably Parnell, Ponsonby...Newmarket also pretty cool, but not sure with the nightlife.

Good luck

I agree with Xanctus - Parnell and Ponsonby would be good suburbs. Newmarket is nice for shopping but has no nightlife whatsoever, so I find it very dull out of hours.
    Other suburbs to consider would be Mt Eden, Herne Bay, Freemans Bay, St Mary's Bay, Kingsland and Grey Lynn. All these are close to the CBD and certainly nicer areas to live than in the CBD itself.

There are tons of 2 bed apartments available in CBD with a cark parks too. But unless you in area near Queen St/Quay St/Viaduct Harbour then most overlook busy noisy main roads. We spend our first month in an apartment on Courthouse lane, and surrounding streets had loads of apartments and nice restaurants and bars etc very close. Otherwise I would go for one bof close suburbs as others have said. Can also reccomend the Where to Live in Aucland book...we found it useful not only for areas to live, but also tips on places to visit in Auckland for the weekend coffee trip

We lived in the CBD for 4 months, and it was great fun, but would recommend the suburbs just outside the CBD, such as Parnell, Ponsonby & Newmarket (at a push). We now live in Parnell and absolutely love it! It offers a better lifestyle ie more space and less hectic, has its own version of nightlife whilst also easy walking access to the city (town ) centre. We have a car but only use it at the weekends.

There are loads of apartments out there. If you're initially looking for fully furnished, the CBD is best. Apartments on the Viaduct are great, depending on location, some can be noisy with the weekend crowd. Why not get a 3 month fully furnished in the CBD giving yourself time to check out other areas. If you own a car, then getting a secure carpark with your CBD apartment is a must (can be quite costly, something to consider).

Check out www.crockers.co.nz (can recommend them - no issues with getting the deposit back either) for CBD apartments, and www.realestate.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz for rentals inside/outside of the CBD.

Have fun.

Thanks for the great advice! I think my company will put us up in an apartment for two weeks which will give us a while to explore all the areas mentioned.