Thread: Christchurch with Children?

Default Christchurch with Children?

Has anyone got suggestions for places to visit in Christchurch or surrounding area, that are suitable for family with 3 small sprogs? We would like to see cultural stuff like Cathedral Square and nice views/beaches etc, but can't really go on long scenic walks due to having double buggy to push around. Any short trips/places to visit by car that take half day max would be of interest too.

We were there earlier this year with our three and they loved...

Sumner Beach and Cave Rock
    New Brighton beach, pier & library
    Hagley Park, botanic gardens and kids play area
    Canterbury museum
    Tram ride in city centre
    Canoe / boat ride in Hagley park

Things we didn't do (but meant to and are still on our list!)...

Gondola ride
    The Antartic centre place
    The animal reserve with Maori camp - think its called Willowbank?

HTH

Default We are in the same boat.

We are arriving in Christchurch in 3 weeks. We have one week in ChCh planned and 1 in Nelson. I was going to ask the same questions. So thanks for the information. If anyone has some places for Nelson that would be good.
    I am glad that Brighton Beach is great because we are staying at the camp site there.
    Gina

We went to the Antartic Centre and the kids really enjoyed it.

There are the usual kids amusements in Christchurch - mini-golf, swimming (leisure centre at QEII park - which I believe is near Brighton beach) and also outdoor pools which my kids always love.

We were in Christchurch for a holiday, our kids were aged 4 & 2 at the time and they enjoyed:

Antarctic Centre:

www.iceberg.co.nz

There is a paddling pool and park at one end of Sumner beach - avoid windy days! And it looks from this link that they might not fill them until November:

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/quickanswers/...tres/f1556.asp

Here's a list of other pools (check whether they have been filled yet!):

www.ccc.govt.nz/parks/recreation/pools.asp

A list of parks and their facilities:

www.ccc.govt.nz/Parks

This is quite a good link I had bookmarked:

www.littlies.co.nz/page.asp?id=499&level=3

The boys also liked Science Alive:

www.sciencealive.co.nz

Have Fun

Cheers

Tia

The Antarctic Centre seems to have alot of votes here...I had not even considered it so far....sounds promising

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    The Antarctic Centre seems to have alot of votes here...I had not even considered it so far....sounds promising
    Most Christchurch folk don't really rate the Antarctic Centre. I've been once and was very disappointed - it's very expensive, but it could be worth your while if they're running a special deal or have a money off voucher. I think the section about the antarctic at the Canterbury Museum is just as interesting and all you need to get in there is a gold coin donation. It's a great place.

When I go into town with the kids, I usually park at the bottom of the Botanic Gardens where it is free to park for 3 hours (I usually go way over this and have never had a ticket but I probably shouldn't advise that). It's a lovely walk up through the Botanic Gardens and there's a kids' play area (with splash pool in summer) near where you park the car. You can walk up through the Botanics into town and the Canterbury Museum is on the left at the entrance/exit to the Bots, depending on which way you're going. Just across the road is the Arts Centre, which is always thriving at the weekend when the market is on and there are lots of food stalls (chinese/thai/vietnamese) and plenty of cafes/bars/ restaurants. The kids love running around at the market and usually end up in the Fudge Cottage!

Willowbank and Orana Park are both good wildlife parks. Also, I love the Gondola - I have a pass and go there most weeks. It's great to get up there and have a coffee and look down on the city - there is a little ride which takes you through the birth and history of Canterbury which is quite good (although tends to lose its appeal after the 99th time...) Kids love it though. You can get a combined gondola/tram 2 or 3 day ticket, I think. Sure the kids would love going on the tram. You can pick it up at the Arts Centre actually. Ferrymead Heritage Park is good too for kids, especially now that they have the Maori Village.

Lots of good beaches round Christchurch too. I love Sumner beach (but I'm biased cos I live here!) - thriving village with lots to do. Lots of other good beaches too - depends what you're looking for.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Kate