Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car insurance.

Default Car insurance.

What is the policy on car insurance in New Zealand. Do you need it or is it optional?

Car insurance in NZ is optional but recommended.

Ian

Third party is included in the road tax, as is ACC. There are alot of cars on the road that haven't even paid this. Personally I am full comp, that way if I have a ding with an uninsured driver (also likely to be unlicensed/banned, with no WoF) the insurance company fix the car and chase the debt, not me. It's worth every penny. Compared to the UK, fully comp is really cheap, don't forget to get a letter confirming your no-claims.

If you buy a new car here and/or have any kind of finance for a car, it is usually a requirement that you are fully comp insured. It is way cheaper than UK though.

Given that they let 15 year old idiots loose behind the wheel over here, get fully comp. How many of them re going to have 'optional' insurance?

Exactly.

can I ask, how about insurance for an imported Toyota Hilux?? Will it be a problem? Expensive? Thanks. Steve

Most of the Hilux over here are used imports anyway. Once it has been cleared by the LTSA it should be fine.

Whoah - does that mean we can buy a car WITHOUT insurance???
    We need to buy a used car within a couple of days of landing in Christchurch, and were wondering about the logistics of doing that, since we won't have an address!
    Obviously, insurance is preferable, so how do we get that as 'tourists' initially? Until we can rent a house, that is.
    I read somewhere on here that you can get a PO Box-type thing for post. In the UK you need a postal address to get a PO Box no., which kind of defeats the object, as far as I can see. Is it the same in NZ?

no need to get insurance, and you aren't breaking any laws. I did this, but got insurance as soon as I could afterwards. It's so cheap compared to UK it seemed daft not to. I used the AA and found them fine.

Used my b and b address for the insurance, wasn't an issue.

We used our motel address when we first arrived for the car registration and insurance, didn't seem to cause any problems for us

And remember to bring your proof of no claims discount as well.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast