Thread: Cars in NZ.

Default Cars in NZ.

We're probably going to have to get a car pretty soon after we arrive. Anyone got any advice about 4X4s in New Zealand? We're hoping to live in Christchurch. How bad do the roads get in winter?

Have a look at this thread...it is a good starting point:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13321

Thanks. Some useful pointers in that thread. One thing I've noticed is cars in NZ seem to be generally older and in better condition than UK cars. Our Auckland friends said it was down to the fact that NZ does not put salt on the roads so cars don't suffer as much during the winter time.

You are not wrong on the older car thing. I've seen cars I remember when I was little, lots of classic cars etc that people use as their everyday car. But it definately a Ford Holden divide here with some people

Default cars

dont know about the weather in c/church (uk was cold enough for me i want plenty of sun) but the cars are cheap and certainly dont be afraid of older cars. I Got a landcruiser prados from toyota 10 yrs old only 80km on clock (about 50,000 miles) 2 years warranty , 2 years free wof(mot) 2 yrs roadside
    bartered like hell and got $5000 knocked off price for cash.So you can get a deal from the dealers as well as private sales

The average age of cars on NZ roads is 12 years, mainly due to the used jap imports being 7-8 years old when they get here.
    The used car market here is tanking, and alot of dealers have shut their doors, plus the finance companies that lend on the cars are collapsing like there is no tomorrow. Be brutal with the salesman, you can get some really good deals. The best cars are probably the ex-lease ones, the will have full service history and good tyres. There are no guarantees this will be the case with the imports.

Also buying NZ new cars will make it easier to sell. Rather than Imported ones. ( If you are planning not to keep the car in a long run)
    But again, it depends on the luck, time, and prospect buyer.

cars do last longer here...ive my nanna's car, which my part of the family inherited when my nanna and poppa died suddenly..its a mazda familia (323 i think? 1987 model) and its just done 145,000k. the roads here, in comparison with roads in ireland (theyre the roads i know best out of that side of the world) which are mottled and not fabulous. its pretty fuel efficient for a car its age and when ive the money, im going to get the lpg tank in it back up and running cause OH MAN petrol kills my budget sometimes!

ummm the point of my ramble..(if i can find one..) south island roads get icy but i never noticed it too bad in chch. if i didnt have to own a 4x4 i wouldnt...unless you are going to do a lot of trips or adventuring
    also, second hand cars here are pretty good value for money in my opinion. buy trade and exchange paper/mag is pretty good to get an idea of prices sometimes...