Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy - tips for keeping weight down?

Default Pregnancy - tips for keeping weight down?

Ok, I know that doesn't sound like a good idea, but unfortunately I was on the large side before my pregnancy anyway (BMI over 30), and now I'm entering my 3rd trimester, I'm getting really worried about how big I'm going to get. Only 27 weeks, and I'm already uncomfortable!

To add to the fun, I've got a diagnosis of SPD and SI joint dysfunction, so I've got to be careful about swimming (although I am allowed to walk in the pool) and I can't walk very far without getting back pain - I mean, on a good day, I can walk 2 or 3 miles but not any further.

So, any tips from you mums on how to make sure I don't put on more weight than I absolutely have to? I'm trying to be good and avoid excessive sugar/fat in my diet, but I think I'm going to need more than that! Just looking for exercise ideas, really. My midwife isn't massively helpful, to be honest - she does the basic assessments but she's never even weighed me and doesn't seem very concerned about my size.

Wish I had... I still have all my preggy weight to lose nearly 2 yrs later....

You cant really diet as such either, which does not help!

Sounds like you have made a start, try and eat good fats & wholegrains, and do as much walking in the pool as you can. I would probably move to smaller meals at this point and eat maybe 5 breakfast sized meals, rather than your traditional 3 different sized meals a day. Keeps your energy levels up, and your tummy space will be getting limited too so you cant eat an awful lot at once!

If you are really concerned, I would ask to be referred to a dietician for advice asap. It is very dangerous to diet during late pregnancy, all you can do is eat really well now and have an eating plan ready for after you have had the baby. If you breastfeed you should not diet as such, but maintain healthy portion size etc and weight should drop off quickly. If you bottle feed, you can start dieting once recovered from birth.

Many midwives do not weigh people these days, unless you are concerned about excess weight gain or bad odema, or if you are very thin. It is a very inaccurate way of assessing pregnancy, as some weeks you might put on more than other weeks. Some people lose weight initially with morning sickness, and many people lose a couple of pounds in last 2 weeks or so. With SPD, there are some prenatal yoga classes that can help. They could also refer you to a physio who will give you safe exercises to do...ask GP if midwife not helpful. Or you could contact Superintendant of midwives if not getting enough help.

Default I would get a plan from your GP

Hi,
    Pregnancy is such a hard time to muck around with your diet I would definitely get some professional advice. I threw up for 9 months with both my daughters so I can't say I was too worried about my weight... more about the girls' but they ended up fine. I think find a walking buddy, I went to ante-natal aquaerobics, it was great gentle exercise and I made friends to do other activities with. It really helped.
    Sorry I can't be more useful, good luck.
    Gina

I know when you have more muscle on your body, your metabolism will be higher, and you will naturally burn more calories. So how about lifting some weights (fairly light ones should do the trick)? Concentrate on areas that you can do with your diagnoses.
    I've never been pregnant, so I don't know about the feasibility of doing this while pregnant, but it's an idea.

Wow, loads of information - thank you! Not sure I could safely get away with lifting weights, as my chiropractor has told me not to lift anything heavy at all, and my physio has even banned me from making beds (what a shame... ). But I must check out the aquaerobics and yoga.

Yes, I guess it's not good to think about messing with food too much at this stage. My fault for not losing more weight beforehand . I had lost a stone at weight watchers after a 1 year struggle, but had to stop the diet once I found out.

See if you would be allowed to work out with low weights of 2-5 lbs. You could do that sitting in a chair. Even that little will help you build muscle in your arms or legs with a good number of reps. Water-weights with aqua aerobics should be low impact on you as well.

Sorry I just lucky that I don't put on much weight during pregnancies , but I can give you tips.
    Try swimming that support your weight, I go swimming with my children every week till last week (just had baby!) , and I just "walk", in deep end but can touch the floor with toes, around the pool while holding my daughter, that help support your hip at same time.
    Secondly, gym ball..they help too by sit on it and rock your body...
    I would like to telling you, never ever diet cos baby need goodness from you, just try to eat sensibly like lots of veg, fruit and protein!!!

Just thought of something else....I had mild SDP with third baby, and was told to keep legs together when sleeping or rolling over in bed, as laying down can aggravate condition when legs are misaligned/not level. I also found gym ball great, but be careful about sitting in a deep squat while exercising as it can made SPD worse....leave that position until the birth.

Also be very careful with weight...hormone relaxin means all your joints are much more loose, at it is much easier to pull muscles, even doing ordinary activities. I unfortunately pulled shoulder and chest wall muscle very badly packing light boxes a few days before last baby. Day after birth it was such agony, I ended up drugged up on Diazepam, Coedine, Ibuprofen and Paracetamol all at the same time for 2 days. Luckily did not stop me breastfeeding long term....not trying to scare you, but please be very careful!

Snap Debs - I've just come into my 27th week and agree with you that it's just starting to get a bit uncomfortable! My local pool has lanes set aside in the deep diving pool for aqua jogging, and provides these big foam waistband things that people strap on - I guess they keep you floating and upright. There are some fairly large people doing that, and I would imagine it's a good workout. I've put on only a very small amount of weight since the initial few months TBH. I have been sticking to a very regular daily eating pattern since the MS ended - porridge and prunes for breakfast (thus combating one of the other less than glamorous effects of pregnancy!) and some wholegrain toast with marmalade, salmon / cheese / egg sandwiches and an apple for lunch, dinner is usually protein and veg / salad (the OH is a low GI / Atkins - style eater, I usually just add a handful of pasta / rice / potatoes to whatever he has). My biggest downfall is probably morning tea at work - scone and jam at 10am!

Have fun and good luck. I think late pregnancy isn't really the time to worry overly about putting on more weight. Eat sensibily, keep on the move when you can and leave the weight loss until afterwards. I'm more into damage limitation that trying to be overly controlled at this stage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast