Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The NZ Herald's 5 best & worst towns to live in

Default The NZ Herald's 5 best & worst towns to live in

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...0462441&pnum=0

The article is mainly about Auckland's unaffordability, but it ends with this list:

So, with the disclaimer that this list isn't definitive, here are five of the best places to live in New Zealand.

Waipu has Bream Bay's sweeping beaches, a Celtic flavour from its Scottish settlement roots, diverse job prospects from its proximity to Whangarei (port, refinery, retail), vineyards and construction.

Te Awamutu is an easy commute to Hamilton, and is nestled in dairy heartland. You can snare a three-bedroom home for about $300,000. Bayleys' Mark Dawe says he gets lots of inquiries from Aucklanders. "They're either coming back to their roots, or for the pace of life, or cost of living."

New Plymouth lays claim to city sophistication without the costs, congestion and hassle. Drawcards include the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, the TSB Bowl of Brooklands stadium and proximity to Mt Taranaki. Offshore oil prospecting promises more jobs.

Nelson's average house price is the highest on our list, at $329,800, but the small city squeezes in because of what else it offers: a regional economy founded on horticulture, agriculture, tourism, seafood and forestry; a strong arts scene, and three national parks - Abel Tasman, Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi - on its doorstep.

Rangiora offers service industry jobs locally, and is an easy commute to Christchurch.

Others on the shortlist were Matamata, Whangarei Heads and Alexandra.

In choosing New Zealand's worst places to live, we looked at measures of social disadvantage and very low-priced real estate. We included Queenstown because it's the least-affordable place to live in the country.

Here are five of the worst places to live in New Zealand:

Moerewa, is one of the Far North's more economically depressed towns. In 2001, more than a third of the Far North population had an income less than 60 per cent of the national median.

Opotiki district in the Bay of Plenty had the highest proportion - 42 per cent - in that low-income bracket. The town is notorious for its gang troubles.

Kawerau and Wairoa also had more than a third of the population in the lowest income bracket, and 15 per cent living in households with fewer bedrooms than needed.

Queenstown has the country's least-affordable homes, with an August median sales price of $592,500 - meaning loan repayments are more than 115 per cent of a 30- to 34-year-old's median take-home income.

I agree with the Queenstown vote. I didn't like it AT ALL - it was a blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape!

Yay for Rangiora !!

vic x

Where did Hamiltron (city of the future) come on the list?

Well i'm glad we made the choice of Te Awamutu, and since we are about to embark on a new build the chances of flicking for a sizeable profit is looking good....bring it on!!!!

Kim

Wondered when you're happy voice would chip in here Kim lad, thought you'd have spotted good ol' TA on here sooner.

You gotta be pleased.

Queenstown is in a fantastic spot... but is kind of ruined by being overdeveloped. Does anyone live in Rangiora? Christchurch is on our list of possible places to live.

Queenstown gorgeous - love it. How anyone can call it a blot on the landscape is beyond me, but then I guess we all have our different ideas of what is a nice place (although it's pushing it some to call it a blot on the landscape - did make me chuckle).

Debbie (Wilson182) lives in Rangiora and seems very happy there - why don't you PM her?

Kate

Agree - Queenstown is being sooo over-developed it will be unrecognisable soon. We went there last Xmas with my parents who had been there 12 yrs previously. They were amazed at the development and barely recognised the place. Queenstown's location is fantastic - can't fault that. But we, personally, couldn't live there - community too transient, too expensive and it's being too built up. Shame. There's also a brand new development going in (called Remarkables Park or something) that is going to be huge, and includes hospitals and retail parks etc. Sorry, but I do think Queenstown and its attractions are slowly being suffocated.

Waipu is a strange choice. It is a pleasant place to visit the beach for the day (still about 12km from the town), and there are some swanky cafes for an expensive latte. Apart from that there is not alot there. It is at least 30 mins from Whangarei where the jobs and shops are located.

Its main attraction is being close to the border with Rodney council, ie. is as close as possible to Akl without having to deal with their councils. Getting resource consent for a new house/ holiday home is alot easier.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast