Thread: Truck driver?

Default Truck driver?

As previuosly posted i am hoping to visit NZ next year to tour, and see what life is like, with view to move over later

I hold LGV C+E (NZ class 5?) and see that it is on ISSL not LTSS

But according to kiwicareers web site

Shortages may increase

Difficult to recruit heavy truck drivers

Does that mean it may go on to LTSS?

Quote Originally Posted by andy480 View Post
    As previuosly posted i am hoping to visit NZ next year to tour, and see what life is like, with view to move over later

I hold LGV C+E (NZ class 5?) and see that it is on ISSL not LTSS

But according to kiwicareers web site

Does that mean it may go on to LTSS?
    Just before somebody points you in my direction and says ask Kim as he is a truckie over there. I will answer your post later as i am on my way to work, but to suffice to say the answer you are looking for isn't favourable.......just yet anyway.

Kim

Andy, the answer to your question is simple NO....... but there is pressure being put on immigration to allow the role to be added to the LTSL. Yes there is a major shortage of truckies out here, but for some unknown reason the powers that be aren't prepared to listen. The way to go for the time being is to try and gain an offer of employment via the WP,or WTR route, and then come in and play the waiting game for the role to be added.

In respect to answer somebody gave you on your introductory thread about the agency NZ4U, well thay seem to have suspended their activities for the time being due to the wage level being hiked by an extra 5k. Most companies they deal with aren't prepared to budge their wage levels to accomodate this. I am being told though that this supension is only temporary as they seem to think they may be able to find a loophole. Give them a call and see what their take on this is now, as i had the info given to me around 3 weeks ago from a friend who is thinking about using them. Here is the email i received from him from them.........

Hi there Tony

At present we have out our planned October trip to the UK on hold as New Zealand Immigration have recently made a change to their Accredited employer policy that affects HGV drivers.

They have changed the minimum salary from $45,000 to $50,000 for a 40 hour week - this means you have to earn $50k for 40 hours per week with an accredited employer before you can apply for your Work to Residency Visa (WTR). This is the visa you work on for 2 years before applying for Permanent residency. The 3 year work visa that you apply for from the UK remains unchanged and you are still able to get this as long as you have a job offer in NZ. it is just when you get to NZ and want to work towards your permenant residency that you need to earn $50k for 40 hours with an accredited employer.

We do have employers who offer this salary and are accredited but most of them are Petrol Tanker companies and there are conditions applied to this - for example it may take you 2-3 years to get to the required salary with one of our employers.

We wanted to wait and see how this change affects our current drivers and the employers we have in NZ before we made another recruitment trip to the UK.

Kim

Ta kim

What i am thinking of doing though is coming over for 6 months later on (if i enjoy my months tour ) and applying for a job and work permit/visa

is that practical?

Quote Originally Posted by andy480 View Post
    Ta kim

What i am thinking of doing though is coming over for 6 months later on (if i enjoy my months tour ) and applying for a job and work permit/visa

is that practical?

If you can't get an offer from home, then why not. I was fortunate to receive an offer from this end, but it took a lot of emails for someone to take that chance on me.

Good luck, and if i can be of anymore help just shout.

Kim