Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before permanent residency?

Default How long before permanent residency?

Hello: This is my first post. I am so pleased that there are others with experience and knowledge they are willing to share on immigrating to NZ.

I am in a position to retire in a few years at age 55. I would prefer to do so in NZ but there isn't an immigration category for retirees.

As I am sure everyone on this board knows, the primary route to entry into NZ is through employment. My wife is a high school teacher and a few months younger than me. The cut-off age for gaining employment in NZ is currently 55. I would appreciate opinions and advice on the chances of us getting into NZ with my wife being 54? I realize there are many factors that affect the point scoring system, but we score well in everything but having relatives in NZ. I suppose what I am asking, is our age a major deterrent?

If/when we do get in, how long must my wife work before she can retire and we can be allowed to stay in NZ?

Hi Canadian. Sorry I don't have the answers for you but wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you good luck with your search.

Hi there. You need to do a points indicator test

I think you lose points for each 5 years of age

Good luck
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or.htm?level=1

Default Welcome !

Hi Canadian and welcome to the forum !

From what I've read on the INZ site, 55 years is indeed the cut off age for the SMC (Skilled Migrant Category).

Assuming though, that you were able to achieve PR before your wife reaches the cutoff age and without depending on a job offer for points, I think you would then be free to do as you please. Once you have the PR (Permanent Residency) in your pocket, I don't believe there is a rule in place that actually requires you to get a job (I know we haven't had any contact with INZ at all after gaining PR without job offer, and we have been here for eight months now).

The question is though, how INZ deals with someone being so close to the cutoff age, I have no idea about this, hopefully someone else will be able to tell you more.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but wish you the best of luck with your research.

Silver

Default How long must a person work?

Thanks for the replies. I just did a quick calculation and scored 130. Assuming my wife gains employment, and we make the move, how long does someone have to work before they can quit, be allowed to stay, and live as a retired person?

Related to the above, I am assuming that one we can stay we can take advantage of the NZ medical system????

Canadian, I dont know the answers to your questions, but I wanted to say hello and welcome.

J and G xx

Default So then.....

what is the length of time after someone enters NZ with employment that they obtain PR?

Thanks

If you submit an EOI you are, in effect, applying for PR.
    The whole EOI process takes a varying amount of time based on circumstances.
    I hear it goes faster if you have a job offer.
    To further answer your question, if you are granted PR based on a job offer (you claim EOI points for a job offer) you will need to work for that employer for 3 months.
    However, the EOI may not result in PR and your case worker might recommend a work permit. With the Work to Residence I believe you need to have the job for 2 years for PR.

If you have 130 points and your qualifications or work experience are in an area of absolute skill shortage (the short list) you may very well be picked sooner rather than later--without a job.
    I hear right now that the ITA (If the EOI is picked from the pool they may send you an Invitation To Apply--for permanent residence) takes 2-4 months to arrive without a job offer and the medicals, police checks and other information you need to gather for that can take some time as well.

Hope that helps

Assuming my wife gains employment, and we make the move, how long does someone have to work before they can quit, be allowed to stay, and live as a retired person?
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ed/default.htm
    If you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    If you got points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job until three months is up.

And as Silverwing already said,
    Assuming though, that you were able to achieve PR before your wife reaches the cutoff age and without depending on a job offer for points, I think you would then be free to do as you please. Once you have the PR (Permanent Residency) in your pocket, I don't believe there is a rule in place that actually requires you to get a job (I know we haven't had any contact with INZ at all after gaining PR without job offer, and we have been here for eight months now).
    (Becky - sorry, that kind of repeats your post - you beat me to it )

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    However, the EOI may not result in PR and your case worker might recommend a work permit. With the Work to Residence I believe you need to have the job for 2 years for PR.
    If you do get a WTR and you stay in your job for 2 years then yes you can get it changed to a PR. But, if you have a job in NZ then there is no problem in applying for a PR straight away i.e. you do not need to wait 2 years. It will however cost you more to do it this way. If you have been in the job for 3 months before the PR application then there won't be the 3 month clause either.

Also, for medical cover, if you have a PR or a work visa of two years or more then you are covered the same as if you were a kiwi.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast