Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If not NZ then another S. Pacific island?

Default If not NZ then another S. Pacific island?

Living in Canada all my life (except for a year in Oz) I would very much like to move to a warmer climate. NZ is an improvement over Canada for sure, and a beautiful place, but my preference would be a climate similar to Hawaii. Basically no strong difference between the seasons (always warm, without being stifling hot much of the time).

I have seen some posters to this board that complain about being cold in NZ winters, thus my questions.

Are there any other S. Pacific Islands with a warm climate that also meet the non-climate related criteria that NZ does?

That is:

-English speaking
    -Affordable quality health care
    -A degree of safety (low crime)
    -Acceptance of newcomers
    -Reasonable affordable real estate

Why not the far northern part of NZ? It's fairly tropical. Real estate is cheaper there. If you are planning on buying a house, you can always add insulation and central heating wherever you are if you feel the house is not up to the weather.

Have you lived in Vancouver, BC? I think their winter is very mild!

Nowhere to suggest I'm afraid but I wouldn't look at Fiji with the things being the way they are, certainly not if you want to buy a place.

Will you have any job requirements?

Also, just out of interest, whay not Hawaii?

Cheers

Tia

Probably not Hawaii due to the lack of affordable health care?

-Brian

Far north Queensland- Cairns, Townsville etc would be my ideal climate. I'm just soooo cold below 20 degrees!

Default More info

I live in Victoria, Canada, so the winter is slightly milder than Vancouver. It still can't compare to NZ which is a fair amount warmer. This is partly due to latitude. Victoria is 48.5°N and Auckland is about 38°S. The latter is about 10° closer to the equator so is obvioulsy going to be milder. It is likely worth the move to NZ, for the better climate, along with the list I initially mentioned. Certainly NZ has the benefit of a fairly large land mass to explore and lots of beauty. Still, I would prefer a slightly warmer climate than NZ can offer. The Northern tip of NZ is fairly mild but is rainier than the east coast further south. I am likely asking for too much, but I thought I would inquire anyway.

I'm with Lupin, Cairns is the place I would go if I weren't here. I live north of Akl and it is mild, but not enough for me.

Hawaii's healthcare is actually more affordable than much of the USA due to the universal healthcare the state requires. Jobs there are more difficult to come by. But look at the weather for Kailua/Kona on the big island.

Lupin 77 wrote:

Far north Queensland- Cairns, Townsville etc would be my ideal climate. I'm just soooo cold below 20 degrees!
    I'm always cold too but would have a problem with the humidity in these places. They seem to have their fair share of hurricanes also.

Consulting my World Weather book (yes I know - I'm sad! ) which has a 'discomfort from heat and humidity section'. Auckland has none most of the year with mild in Jan & Feb. Townsville, however, never drops below moderate - with high 4 months of the year.

(the scale goes none, mild, moderate, medium, high)

Personally I prefer it from Brisbane down to Sydney in terms of climate.

NZ climate is definitely an improvement on UK climate but if weather really is your top priority you may be disappointed.

She whispers ...... How about Australia?

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Consulting my World Weather book (yes I know - I'm sad! ) which has a 'discomfort from heat and humidity section'. Auckland has none most of the year with mild in Jan & Feb. Townsville, however, never drops below moderate - with high 4 months of the year.

(the scale goes none, mild, moderate, medium, high)
    Ah, but one would adjust to moderate discomfort from humidity, which leaves potentially four months of the year more humid than one would like. I'd rather shelter from the heat and sun for four months a year than from the wind and cold.

I have friends in Brisbane who say they swapped five months of scurrying from centrally heated building to centrally heated building to 2 months of being more comfortable with the air con on and avoiding the sunshine. Total no-brainer for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast