Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch

Default Happy families in Christchurch one year on!!!

We have been here in christchurch, now for 14 months and all is well...it was not all plain sailing and yes the first 6 months were the worst, but now we have done the 12 months we have our own place and are expecting another baby to go with the 4 we already have and we are finding our feet and starting to make our own mark on our home. We were not as fortunate as some who have come from UK and can buy a house outright, we didnt do bad but only had a small house in Uk and so when we sold it we didnt get that much. But we now have a bigger house than we would ever have had in the UK. if your wondering if the grass is greener...well yes it is in more ways that one... the weather here is just fab compared to anywhere in the Uk and thats a fact... we came from Manchester and it was always raining , so being here is like one continuos summer with little rain or snow.... if you like people and large cities like manchester then christchurch is not for you as its just like a average town in UK ( manchester has 12 million people) christchurch about 320,000, so if like to have a stroll along the city high streets with room to spare and breath then ...what are you waiting for.........
    We can wait to finish all the decorating and gardening and settle down in summer for those BBqs and beers , like last year.... bring it on !!

Oh and if anyone wants to know anything about like here in chch, then dont hesitate on asking me, i will tell you everthing you want to know and more...just ask.
    thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Glad to hear you are enjoying life in NZ and Christchurch in particular. Having been there for a year you may be able to help me with a couple of questions I have. To set the background, we are emmigrating early next year. We will be in a position not to have to work and having visited NZ three times, are looking at the Hamilton area of North Island as an area to live. However my mother who has sponsored us lives south of Dunedin on South Island and would like us to be nearer than Hamilton.

We have spent several days in Christchurch on previous visits and really like the place. However we are not city people ( or large town come to that) and we are mindful that Christchurch winters will be colder than those on North Island.

Can you therefore give me an honest opinion on winter in Christchurch. You can look at weather charts, but it is not the same as getting a first hand opinion. How does the weather really compare to the UK. How cold is the winter? How often and how severe are the frosts ? Given that central heating is a rarity, how was it in your house during the winter?

Finally, Can you recommend any of the suburbs or smaller towns away from the city. We liked the area just north of Christchurch, around Brighton and Amberley. Have you any knowledge of these?

Any advise and info you can give regarding living in the Christchurch area would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dave

Default jobs in christchurch

Hi! Paul,
    It was nice to read your opinion about NZ in large. I would like to ask 1-2 question and it would be very nice of you (u already are) to reply to these:
    1. Are there enough job available in Chch in IT and how much is a chance for a 6 year experince guy to land a job in chch if he is from India?
    2. How was your job searching experince? I would personally would like to know it.

For me it is right now a very frustrating experince to try to find a job, I have been mailing IT recuitment companied from last 1 month without any proper success. First of all they donot give work permit unless you have job offer. What is this ?
    Your experience will be helpful to me.
    thanks
    Madhukar

Paul,
    nice to see another success story. but it doesn't rain in Manchester, not at all.
    yesterday it poured, wettest August since 1951 i believe. Residents in Ribchester were flooded after the early morning bucket loads and news all over the North West was "flooding in" (sorry about the pun ) regarding the weather conditions. It's the same story all ove the UK at the moment, and weather wise it is grim up north. Nice day today though and i'm playing golf tomorrow so hopefully it will be the same.

If your all keen on Chch then the resident expert on this forum is Nic, She goes by the name of Kiwi and is a regular visitor and is always very helpfull. i'm sure when she gets the e-mail she'll be pitching in on this thread.

John

Madhukar,
    Hopefully paul can help us both out on that one.
    From my experience and i'm sure yours is the same i get very nice letters back from agencies saying "see you when you get here". Understandable really as i am literally 12,000 miles away so even with a glorious CV, the chances of them pushing an interview for me is non existent. there seems to be only oe way to get a job. Be there.
    I'm going to take month of work, first i will spread my CV around and arrange with all agencies to meet with them. after meeting with them they should be able to set me up with some interviews.
    Be prepared to travel around and see as many as you can.
    Try follow up calls. Last year i sent my CV and applications for jobs. after a week i stayed up late and rang the agent to see ehat he/she thought, this will not get you a job interview, but at least your networking! Don't be too pushy though.

Good luck, and remember, many other people have been in the same boat and have made it.
    :hopeso

John

Default The Asian Spirit

Hello everybody,

I'm glad to find out that many Britishers (is this a correct term?) are also going to New Zealand. We from Asia would like to do the same, but there are some things harder for us to do before going to a land down under, one we know nothing about. We call it a Leap of Faith, and it's actually relying on God to make everything work. In HIs time, as we always say. SO we follow the steps, taking each day as it comes, and with heaven's blessings, we will see you when we get there.

One question, though: has anyone of you tried the Relocation package that's offered for USD297? Will it really help us? In the philippines, $300 US is equivalent to almost 20,000 pesos, which is a university graduate's average gross salary for one month. It's really difficult to part with, especially if there is a possibility it will just go down the drain! Tell me it's worth it, please?

Y'all totally committed to going? Those of you in New Zealand, you don't think of going back? A leap of faith, and we all need it, actually.

annie

Hello everybody,

I am about to move to NZ at the end of October. Probably I'll stay at Auckland for about 3 months. And then I'll relocate to Christchurch at the end of January or the begining of Febrary next year because I think the living expense in Chritchurch is much lower than in Auckland. Or maybe I'll directly move to Christchurch when I get to NZ.

Could you please introduce something about Christchurch? How about the weather? How far from the airport to the city center? Is it convenient for living at airport area (since I'll probably take a training at airport, so I will probably choose a place nearing airport)? Is there any chance to look for a part time (evening or weekend) job at airport area?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Frank

John...mate!! how kind, thank you

Been busy splitting wood, stoking the fire and putting out the rubbish due to hubby having to fly back to the UK 2 weeks ago..cos his dad popped over to the other side (died..)

It has been a horrible 2 weeks (weatherwise not him not being here...I like the break!!) rain/hail/sleet/snow..non stop. minus 5...arrgh..sooo cold.

I know we are near antarctica...but even so...this is taking the mik.

I cant answer the job questions..as I am a stay home mum, who likes to meddle in immigrants plans..and book them things like accommodation and they pay me in large slabs of galaxy!!! but I live near Brighton and I have an aunt in Amberley...so if you want to email me about those suburbs, I would be happy to bore the pants off ya!

The airport is 15 mins from the city. And the area near the airport is the most expensive to live in! Prime real estate..brighton near the beach, is the cheapest..go figure!!! (something to do with our cold easterly winds in the summer...australia we are not) have I put you off yet...
    chch is great. It is home for me (born here) but I also like Nelson, and some parts of the north Island are just magic.

Good luck to you all, and I am sure Paul who has experienced it from a newbies point of view will be able to help you more (although I am not sure where he spent last summer...cos in chch from Jan 17th it rained and was cold till march 17th!..dec and Nov were brill though...roll on spring, I have had a guts ful of this weather lately)

Nicky

ps frosts are great, cos then the days are about 12-15 deg....
    We have mostly frosts...so if your home is snug and warm at night..you will be happy...if it aint, you will feel you have moved to a cold hell.
    The sun is also warm in winter, unlike the UK where it is just a yellow ball...up in the sky, and no heat coming from it..off to chop more wood...bbrrrrgh!

Nicky,
    Nice to see you back and in good health. must be the long walk putting the bin out!

John

Hilarious....( and shovelling snow dont forget...)

The bin lets my husband feel like a man once a week..and needed!! He comes back in 12 hrs...in Dubai at the moment. He flew Emirates from chch to London, would thoroughly recommend it he said (and he got up graded cos all airlines up grade those travelling for compassionate reasons first..got to let them know though..and no lieing )

Flying into to Auckland and then a domestic down to chch for those coming here...should be avoided at all costs...so much better flying direct.
    just my 2 pence worth.

Nicky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast