Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Processors <sob!>

Default Food Processors <sob!>

Ok, I'm starting to panic.

Some of you are aware I like to cook, but the fact is I'm helpless without my Cuisinart. I use it for everything from kneading bread dough to making pasta, chopping vegetables, pureeing sauces and, well, everything!! So... I took the advice of a wise friend (thanks, Tanya!) and plugged Cuisinart food processors into the trusty ol' google.co.nz.

After a couple of minutes, I rose from the floor, flopping and gasping at $829 for a new one in NZ -- which doesn't look as heavy duty as the model I've got!! And scarce, too -- I could only find one source!!

Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiiicccccccccccchhhhhhhhh, where are you?? Can I get the one I already have to work over there???

Suffering from heart palpitations, Rae

I have every sympathy with you on this one. I would be lost without my 'whiz bang' (as it is affectionately known in this house).

But ......... (I'm no expert in these matters) ...... I think the voltage is different in USA and NZ.

Good luck, and I hope you can take your Cuisinart (and your sanity) with you to NZ.

Diny

Don't know exactly what a cuisinart is...sounds scary...I'm not a fan of food processors...however if voltage is your problem you can but a step down transformer from Dick Smith (no relation) Electronics!!!

Personally I wouldn't be without my French Sabatier knives and my Great Grandmothers Victorian Rolling Pin!

Bon Appetite

Hi, karl,

Oh, yes, I'm definitely bringing it and was planning to use the step-down transformer.. just had some concerns it wouldn't work right because of having a motor in it. My guess is it will work but somewhat differently than I am used to. My husband is fully prepared to spend whatever is necessary to ensure I have one there if this one doesn't work properly. He is of course the primary beneficiary of my culinary efforts!

Like you, I have many treasured kitchen artifacts and use them liberally (hand-crank sausagemaker from my grandmother, a sourdough starter created by my father 16 years ago), but my food processor has its place, and although there's nothing I do with it I can't do without it, boy, it saves a lot of time and hassle! When I got my first one over 20 years ago, I felt the same as you. But after learning to use it properly, I admit I am a convert. They have their place, they really do -- huge timesavers.

Better keep those Sabatier knives out of my clutches.. I have good knives and couldn't do without them -- but not as nice as those!!

Many happy meringues, Rae

I'm with you on the sabatier knives. I have a set too and they're lethal !!

This is alittle spooky but I have my grans rolling pin too. Also - the one 'must take' item in my kitchen........... a wooden spoon that had half of the bowl bit snap off about 5 years ago. It's now a half moon shape, worn smooth and battered, but I would be totally lost without it. It has a value of about 2p but all the money in the world couldn't buy a replacement. How stupid is that?

Diny

LOL, Diny, oooohhh, eerie on the wooden spoon front!!

Just yesterday I was crushing tomatoes in a bolognese sauce for lasagna with the back of my favorite wooden spoon, complete with burn marks on the handle and used so often that at least a quarter of it was worn away from the bowl.. just as I was idly thinking I should use a potato masher instead of the back of the spoon, it snapped in half and that was the end of my favorite wooden spoon!!

I totally understand about yours.. you have to have those comfortable things around you to make it 'home.'

Best of luck to you in your culinary and migratory adventures! - Rae

Rae ......... a wooden spoon would hold no street cred at all without the obligatory burn marks.

Default Food Processors

Hi Rae!
    Tell you what, when my husband goes down later this month, I will have him take my small processor and see if it will work with the step down, etc., and then I can report back and hopefully give others a big sigh of relief too....wooden spoons be danged!
    For me, I want to take my hot air popcorn maker! Where else am I going to find a Scooby Doo head that vomits popcorn out its mouth???
    :cool

SoCalGal, you are a treasure!! It would soooooooo put my mind at ease to find out how that particular appliance will work!! I realize it's not world peace or anything, but ok, I'm shallow and self-absorbed and dangerous with a shredding disc...

And no, there is no way you can leave behind Scooby Doo!!

Thanks so much for the kind offer. It's just one of those many things that will be different about living there. Not bad -- just different!!

Luvvies and with much gratitude, Rae

Default Food processors

It is my pleasure, Rae! And much more sensible to worry about an appliance like that, than wonder how my new kitchen will look without Scooby's head! This will start the list of things, if there is anything esle anyone wants checked on, let me know! :cool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast