Thread: Who can certify copies of documents???

Default Who can certify copies of documents???

Does anyone have a list please, of the people legally able to certify documents in the UK? E.G. a school head teacher?

I need to get hubby's passport copied & certified, and am looking for an alternative to the police station, as I had to wait ages to be seen for mine!

Thanks,
    Jane

Hi Jane,

I *THINK* it is just a solicitor.

Hels

HI Jane
    We got our's done by a solicitor up in Scotland but think in England you can get them done by a Justice of the Peace (don't have them in Scotland). Hope this helps
    Karen

I am in England and had mine done by a solicitor, but you can also use a JP or a Notary.

Solicitor charged me £10 for half a dozen documents, passports etc. A notary is the most expensive option. I had quotes for £60-£90.

Hel

I was told Nationwide Building Society would do them but my local branch declined. Might be worth asking though.

Hi Jane,

We used a mate of mine who was a magistrate and didn't charge a penny, also did it while we waited.

You may have to shop around the solicitors a bit to find one that will do it for a reasonable amount. I found one who did them all (about 10) for £10, but I nearly had them done by someone who would have charged me £5 per document. I thought that was the standard rate, and the only reason I didn't go with that solicitor was because she couldn't do them immediately.

In the United Kingdom authorised persons include:

* Notary Publics
    * Justice of the Peace
    * Solicitors
    * Commissioner for Declarations.

As far as NZIS are concerned it is anyone who can lawfully certify documents in the country that you are in, so different countries have different rules. I am sure that I have seen somewhere that medical doctors can certify documents?

Would agree with others, get all your documents together in one go, and if possible take the copies ready for them to just certify, makes it easier for them and they won't charge you for making copies.

Ian