Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packing House up????

Jo Jo - don't do what I did when packing shampoos etc....

I put a lovely new bottle of bubble bath in my suitcase which I will admit was packed rather tightly. Picked up the suitcase to move it out of the removal mens way and noticed it was leaking something!! Yep - bottle had broken and I had bubbles all along the bottom 'seam'. Fortunately it didn't get on too much of the stuff in the suitcase but the case was trashed and I had to go out and buy a new one at the 11th hour.

The silver lining to the black cloud was that I ended up with a great, lightweight suitcase with wheels. Inside which all my 'liquids' were double 'bagged'.

Anneliese,

Thankyou so so much for your advice...taken it all on board, and thinking I maybe need to start the inventory!

We do need to dimantle everything....we are with John Masons, maybe its different for them??? It would be good if they did flatpack stuff as it would save strain on my hubbys back!

Thanks again

J xx

We're using John Masons too and I'm not dismantling anything - they're doing it for me. Mind you, I don't have much to dismantle, just two bookshelves and two beds.

Ooh, I must get on, but will be back later.

The cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to ring them tomorrow!! We have a tv unit,a double bed, a shelving unit, glass table and dining room table, which isnt that much in the grand scheme of things...Im ringing them tomorrow!!!

Thanks!!

j xx

Default Can you do some packing yourself?

When we have moved before we usually pack thing that aren't valuable ourselves, the moving company just drops off boxes for you, that way you put in all your cosmetics etc, books, cds. Anything that is unbreakable or expensive. All the fragile stuff the packers have to pack for insurance purposes but other stuff you might be able to do yourself and that might also help you know what is in the boxes.
    Gina

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    We're using John Masons too and I'm not dismantling anything - they're doing it for me. Mind you, I don't have much to dismantle, just two bookshelves and two beds.

Ooh, I must get on, but will be back later.
    John Masons dismantled our stuff for us as well, wasn't much though i.e. bunk beds and dining room table.

Ian

You do need to be careful if you're filling chests of drawers & stuff as the men need to be able to safely lift it and possibly load it at the top of a container. Be sensible in what you put in there. I loaded a chest of drawers with all sorts of bits & bobs but it ended up so heavy that they then had to repack all the contents anyway.

Most companies will dismantle things for you - eg our bed & dining table were done. They were not allowed to touch anything electrical though so if there are any light fittings etc you want to take you would have to remove those yourself. Also they said they would not have been able to do a full height bunk bed (health & safety issue!) but our daughter has a mid height bed that they agreed to do. Things will not be reassembled for us here though so we will have a bit of DIY to do NEXT WEEK!!!!! (yippee - it's nearly here!).

Re shampoos etc, I took some unopened bottles of stuff which I put in bags inside a bathroom drawer unit we had and they just packed it.

John Masons also told us they would dismantle everything and put it back together at the other end. We are relying on that as totally useless at assembling furniture!

Has anyone shipped a Tempur mattress? We have just bought a superking and it says it mustn't be stored on its side - so a bit concerned about it being stuck in a container for 10 weeks as it probably wouldn't be laid flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstim View Post
    John Masons also told us they would dismantle everything and put it back together at the other end. We are relying on that as totally useless at assembling furniture!

Has anyone shipped a Tempur mattress? We have just bought a superking and it says it mustn't be stored on its side - so a bit concerned about it being stuck in a container for 10 weeks as it probably wouldn't be laid flat.

Tell the packers about your mattress needing to be laid flat and they should be able to pack the container with that in mind and possibly put it on top of other boxes of things - at the end of the day they won't realise it's a special one unless you tell them - and keep an eye on it when they pack the container just to make sure!

Make sure the packers label the bags with the parts for each item of furniture they dismantel (i did it for them and provided plastic freezer bags for each set of stuff!) You may end up reassembling stuff yourself if your container arrives early or stuff has to go into storage for whatever reason, so make the job easier by labelling stuff, and make sure they have a 'bits/parts' box, which goes in last thing - so its the first to come out and you have all the odds and bobs to hand straight away!

Thanks Marcia. Isn't it great to have people around who have already done this sort of stuff!

Barbx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast