Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Players in NZ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DVD Players in NZ

IN South Africa, we have Zone 2 players. I read (somewhere - but please don't ask where!) that most players in NZ are not locked and play any zone DVD's.

Is this the case?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzn2nz View Post
    IN South Africa, we have Zone 2 players. I read (somewhere - but please don't ask where!) that most players in NZ are not locked and play any zone DVD's.

Is this the case?

Thanks
    We have only purchased one DVD player in NZ and it was region locked to 4, the impression I got from the sales staff is that this is normal.

I have seen mutli-region players for sale though and would say that they appear to be more common than the UK (can't answer about SA).

Also noticed that some DVDs sold here are region 2 and 4 enabled.

If you want to buy a multi-region player then this shouldn't be too difficult and in any case you can change most DVD players to multi-region if needed (just check before you buy).

It should be noted that some DVDs will not play on mutli-region players.

so "please don't ask where", where was it then?

Ian

Thanks Ian. I will bring my zone 2 player and probably hook up a zone 4 player as well. That should do until the kids have outgrown all the kiddies DVD's!

Most DVD players can be changed to multizone by using 'cheat codes' that can be found online.
    I recently discovered that one of my 10 year old DVD players could be changed.

You could burn back ups and remove the region code. There is plenty of free software online especially here http://www.videohelp.com/ I recommend DVDShrink. You payed for the DVDs so you should have no qualms about being able to use them. I've had to do this with stuff sent out from the UK as presents for the kids.

Watch out because a lot of new DVD's, at least in the US, are so-called smart-DVDs which can tell if your DVD player is multi-region and then won't play on it. I don't know haw the new HD-DVD and blueray DVD technology will effect the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by akp713 View Post
    Watch out because a lot of new DVD's, at least in the US, are so-called smart-DVDs which can tell if your DVD player is multi-region and then won't play on it. I don't know haw the new HD-DVD and blueray DVD technology will effect the whole system.
    This will be only be a problem on DVD players that you can not change the region on. For example, our DVD player was originally locked to region 4 but has been changed to region 0 (multi-region). If I was to buy a DVD that would only run in a specific region then all I would do is change the region code to that region whilst playing that DVD and change it back to region 0 when finished.

So I guess the important point, is that if you are going to buy a DVD player and you either have DVDs from several regions or may want to play some from different regions then a multi-region player would be good, but one that you can change the region on would be better.

Best advice is to check the internet before purchase as it is possible to change many DVD players region settings simply by pressing certain sequence of buttons on the remote control.

Ian

We bought an NZ DVD player and I asked the salesman if it would play our region2 UK DVD's. He said no, then handed me a shete of paper that explained how to make it region0 (multi). Worked a treat.

You may also be able to get a bootable DVD which will change the firmware on your existing player to make it multi-region if it cn't be done by 'cheat' codes. I suuccesfully did this for our DVD recorder. The bootable DVD cost me £4 from eBay, plus £2.50 shipping to NZ. Bargain, compared to new recorder.

Bizarely, at least in my experience, it seems to be the cheaper players that are more likely to be multi-region or easily changeable.

Anyway, long and short of it is, you should be OK. If you need to tweak something, there is plenty of info out there on how to do it.

Pretty much all DVD players can be hacked using the handset to be multi-region - the major exception being Sony players, they generally need "chipping" (a piece of electronics soldered to the innards) to be multi-region

My advice would be to buy a model that you know how to change into multi-region later if required. We bought a philips model and used the below procedures to change it to zone 0.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...456018-4158205

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast