Thread: Salary expectations

Default Salary expectations

Hi eveyone,

First time on forum

I have been offered a IT job in Auckalnd with a salary of $135,000 + $19,000 bonus. Is this about right for auckland and is it a good salary to live on?

I currently earn around £65,000 in the Uk and I was wondering could I expect the same sort of life style.

David

I have no idea about the style of living, a big part of that would depend on how much mortgage you take out and your personal spending habits. But that is a very good salary, probably in the top few percent for the entire country. Congratulations!

Years of experience?

Hi hammadkkhan,

Sorry, I noticed I posted the orginal theard under my wife's username.

I have over 10 years of experience in the IT Industry and I have been a Cisco CCIE for over 11 years.

Job is with a large teleco company.

David

Hi Dave

As Tigerlily says it depends on your personal circs, what savings you are coming with, what sort of mortgage you plan on having, how many mouths to feed etc.

It's a decent salary for the IT industry here though.

Do check the bonus clause out carefully, I know of several people in the industry who worked for companies that tried every which way but loose to wriggle out of paying theirs.

I would say that's a good rate for the area. I personally go on the theory of double your UK package would lead to a similar amount of cash to pursue your standard of living. I say package as most NZ roles offer little or no pension and healthcare benefits compared to the UK and these should not be discounted. I would also check the bonus conditions to as these are less common than in UK roles.

I work in IT and that is a very good salary, even for Auckland. I was earning about the same in UK and haven't seen anything that would come close to that salary here (although I'm in Hamilton, so wouldn't expect to earn as much as in Auckland anyway).

There does seem to be a shortage of CCIE's over here, which probably explains it. I have no qualifications at all, in anything, sadly. It never bothered me in UK, but they seem very big on quals over here until you've got a few years NZ experience under your belt.

Anyway, well done, and go for it. If you've got no kids you'll definitely be partying every night on that salary

Yes that is a good salary for IT.

As to your lifestyle question a quick way to see if you will experience any difference, good or bad, is to take into account your probable mortgage repayments as a percentage of your take home pay.

For instance, my OH took about a 40% pay cut (not uncommon here), but our mortgage repayments were still the same percentage of take home pay that they were in the UK. Hence, we have found things financially tougher in NZ than we did in the UK.

For most people their mortgage is the biggest monthly expense they have, so although not exact, it is a quick way to get an idea of how much your disposable income will be. Obviously if your biggest monthly expense is wine, you might be better off using that!

This is a useful thread posted by Trigirl on take home pay & mortgage payments in NZ:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10910

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tia

Thanks guys,

Thats great info