Thread: Building extensions on houses

Default Building extensions on houses

Hiya,

Has anyone extended a house? For example added a garage and 2 rooms or a master bedroom with ensuite?

I'm trying to find houses in a good school zone and the only options in our price range would be getting an ex rental and renovating it.

And here was me thinking my DIY days were behind me....

Thanks!
    Mike

That's something I have been thinking about doing, but wasn't sure how easy it was, how easy it is to get planning permission etc .....

Cath X

What areas are you thinking of?

I think certain councils are better than others (I think Wellington is suppose to be quite good).

Its a nightmare to extend in Devonport as its a heritage zone so you need resource consent as well as planning permission for lots of things. Apparently the Resource people only meet once a month. But I'm not sure which other areas have heritage zones or other issues to consider.

On top of this most extensions I know of have gone up quite quickly but have taken quite a while to do all the internal bits as there is quite an extreme division of labour here between the trades. It always seemed to be someone elses job - particularly when it came to things like the extractor fan or venting the dryer, no one could agree who should be doing it! But if you have DIY skills this might help, just make sure you are aware of all the current building regs.

So just factor a reasonable time scale into this.

Also when you buy a property confirm from the council you can actually extend. A lot of agents will tell you what a great idea it would be but unless they have a set of plans, will always add 'subject to approval'.

I know of people who have done it and it certainly has added value to their property and looks fantastic, if done right, but it has taken a long time.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks Tia, we're hoping to move to the Tauranga area, and were considering buying a 2bed with good land area and extending. We're not afraid of diy, and have done quite a lot here in the uk, but it was things such as building regs - what we are and are not allowed to do etc.

Cath X

I have watched a house just up the road take nearly a year to have a double garage with rooms above added on. It seems to be the in thing instead of moving at the moment, as a couple of others have started to do the same locally.

You might be as well contacting a local architect or similar when you get here for advice, and also a valuer so you know you are not going to spend more on renovations than you would get back at a future sale. Don't rely on what the estate agents tell you, get independent advice.

If you haven't already seen this site, this might be a good starting point for your research:

http://www.tauranga.govt.nz/search-r...0/Default.aspx

Cheers

Tia

Hi Tia, thanks for that, will take a good look at it later - am at work at the mo so ssshhhhh

Cath X

Quote Originally Posted by mikewalkerfrom View Post
    Hiya,

Has anyone extended a house? For example added a garage and 2 rooms or a master bedroom with ensuite?
    We extended our house last year. It was two story at the front with a single story bit at the back for the kitchen/dining room and living room. We built out over the top of the single story and created a new master bedroom with en-suite and walk in wardrobe.

We did a similar extension in the UK just before we moved to New Zealand and I would say it was a lot less hassle in NZ.

We have also taken all of the plasterboard off of the external walls through out the house and put insulation in them as well as fitting double glazing through out.