Thread: Buying a House in NZ

Default Buying a House in NZ

Hi, we saw a house yesterday that we are thinking of buying. It's fairly new - prob. 18-24 months old, good sized garden (on approx 750 sqm.) It's in a reasonably good location, good size and has a good indoor/outdoor flow. The only potential problem is that it has a plaster skin. (we'd been looking for a brick one)

Our big problem now is what sort of questions should we be asking the vendors. So far we've thought of these, in no particular order.

1. Who built it
    2. Does it have a building compliance certificate
    3. Is the slab reinforced, is there building paper/felt under the roof tiles
    4. Does it have a freehold title
    5. What covenants are there on the land

We know that the new building regs require an eaves overhang of at least 60 cms and it looks like it may have that.

There a probably a whole load of intelligent questions we should be asking, or features that we should be looking for. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

I guess you have already looked into this side of things, but just in case....

http://www.enz.org/LeakyBuildings.html

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

^ That post covers it pretty well.

If you do want to go ahead with a purchase of one of those houses then you *must* get the building checked out by a certified building inspector, as well as getting a LIM (Land Information Memorandum) report on it from the local council.

Not sure of the costs associated with doing these things, but I'm sure it's about $300 - 400 (NZ) for both of them - that's total cost, not for each one.

Thanks, have looked at that thread. Will get a proper building report done if we decide to go ahead with it.

Anymore tips on buying houses in NZ?

If anyone is interested I am happy to email you a copy of a House Check report (building report) that we had done back in October on a property that we were looking to renovate.

It may give you some pointers of what to look for when looking round a house plus questions to ask... it also has alot of lingo in it that you need to know!

Its a 29 page report and cost $420. It took the guy 2.5 hours to do as it was in a real state - he crawled up and down and in and out - we felt it was great value.

Drop me a PM with your email and I'll be happy to send it to you. Just send a cheque or postal order for $50 ... just kidding.

Moorf

You're a star! thanks for the offer, will pm you.

Thanks, Moorf!

Awfully nice of you to share that with us!
    RoadRunner

Hi there

May be you should see http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/h...nd_selling.asp

Cheers

We bought a brand-new house from the developer and it has a 7-Year MasterBuilder warranty : http://www.masterbuilder.org.nz/

Maybe, you could ask the owner about this.