Thread: any latin translators in nz?

Default any latin translators in nz?

hi everyone,
    trying very hard not to book a flight home
    i've been "dealing" with the dental council in nz since sept 08
    i arrived oct 08 and expected to be able to work pretty soon after,
    following weeks waiting to have qualifications assessed, doing an english exam even though i am irish, sitting another exam on the conditions of practice in nz
    all good so far but i really think i have hit my limit of hoops i can make myself jump through
    i have to redo blood tests as they are now more than 6 months old (they were only a month and a half when i sent in my application but hey thats easy done)
    but i'm getting to the bit that may break me
    i need to bring the original of my degree and a certified translation- now here's the kicker- its in latin- i'm hoping that my transcript, which in in english will be sufficient but just in case can anyone tell me if there is anywhere i can get it done in nz, i'm in tauranga but at this stage i'd go anywhere as the alternative is to book a flight out of here!!
    thanks for any suggestions you may have re translations (or airlines)
    cheers
    peg

Hi Peg,

Have you thought of contacting universities to see if there would be any Latin professors there? Those who come to mind would be the University of Auckland, of Canterbury, Otago and even Victoria university in Wellington. I'm not too sure about certified translators though.

You could also contact independent translators to see if they would know of anyone who does Latin.

I'm sure there will be Latin translators around in New Zealand somewhere

Hope this helps,

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by peg View Post
    hi everyone,
    trying very hard not to book a flight home
    i've been "dealing" with the dental council in nz since sept 08
    i arrived oct 08 and expected to be able to work pretty soon after,
    following weeks waiting to have qualifications assessed, doing an english exam even though i am irish, sitting another exam on the conditions of practice in nz
    all good so far but i really think i have hit my limit of hoops i can make myself jump through
    i have to redo blood tests as they are now more than 6 months old (they were only a month and a half when i sent in my application but hey thats easy done)
    but i'm getting to the bit that may break me
    i need to bring the original of my degree and a certified translation- now here's the kicker- its in latin- i'm hoping that my transcript, which in in english will be sufficient but just in case can anyone tell me if there is anywhere i can get it done in nz, i'm in tauranga but at this stage i'd go anywhere as the alternative is to book a flight out of here!!
    thanks for any suggestions you may have re translations (or airlines)
    cheers
    peg

thank you- i'll try them on monday
    i think i'm just freaking as its saturday and i have to wait til monday to do anything and i don't do waiting patiently very well
    cheers
    peg

I'd check Otago. I had a friend doing his PhD in latin documents of some sort there so I'd imagine the language department would have some tips on finding translators.