Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot water / heating and Gas versus Electric

Default Hot water / heating and Gas versus Electric

Hi,

We have just bought a section in Red Beach (north of Auckland) and are in the process of looking at all the options regarding which builders to use.

So, during our deliberations so far we have come to realise that the water heating systems that come as part of the build cost are all woefully inadequate for our needs (which aren't excessive by the way!). Basically we want to have a system that can provide enough piping hot water for a house that has 2 baths and 2 showers, whilst not costing the earth. The electric systems that we have seen are fine if you shower once a day and never have a bath, but from what we have seen, there are only 2 viable options:

Heatpump based water heating system

or

Gas based condenser heater.

The only problem with the latter is that we dont have access to mains gas and what we dont know yet is whether we could feasibly use bottled gas to power the gas system?

Has anyone had experience of either of these systems for heating their water?

Well sorry to ramble, but advice or help is always in abundance on this forum!

Cheers.

Tim

Not sure if this is a 'gas based condenser heater' but this is the type of water heater that we use.

rinnai water heating

They tend to call them infinity water heaters as they can continue producing hot water for as long as you want.

This company certainly sell their products that support bottled gas if needed.

As long as you get one that can support the demand and flow rate that you want then they are great.

The big problem that we find with ours is that the siting of the boiler is important, for example our on-suite shower gets hot water in a few seconds and is great, but the kitchen sink seems to take minutes before the hot water gets through.

Ian

How about solar? Efficient, pays for itself in only a couple of years and environmentally friendly to boot

http://www.solarsmarter.org.nz/consu...em/key-factors

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    The big problem that we find with ours is that the siting of the boiler is important, for example our on-suite shower gets hot water in a few seconds and is great, but the kitchen sink seems to take minutes before the hot water gets through.Ian

Yes, we have this system too and I LOVE IT, however I do agree with Ian about the siting of the boiler.

Having said that, once you are aware of how the unit performs I don't think that it's too much of an issue.

Ours is run on mains gas, but my friends system is run off bottle gas. They are a family of 3 (one adult son) and apparently a bottle of gas (don't know the size) that costs them around $80 lasts for about 3 months, or so they tell me. Gas water only - everything else electric.

Our winter gas bill was around $80 a month and that's for a 2 people, hot water, fabulously hot gas fire in the lounge (which in winter I refused to be mean with)and a gas hob.

Julie

xx

We are about to get one fitted. We will use bottled gas as no mains where we are. Shop around as the price variations seem ludicrous!

We use the bottled gas for our heating (two gas heaters), hob, which I use every tea time to cook on, and hot water. You usually have to pay an annual fee, i think it was around $120, then the bottles are around $80 + GST. Our first bottle lasted about 8 weeks, but that was towards the end of summer, during the winter when it was cold and we were having the heating on a lot more, we were using a bottle every four weeks.

The company we use are called ongas.

Like we said the other day Nicola, it makes me wonder why they don't utilise this type of system so that European style central heating could be fitted into NZ homes.

Maybe they do ?

Julie

xx

Quote Originally Posted by marcia View Post
    We use the bottled gas for our heating (two gas heaters), hob, which I use every tea time to cook on, and hot water. You usually have to pay an annual fee, i think it was around $120, then the bottles are around $80 + GST. Our first bottle lasted about 8 weeks, but that was towards the end of summer, during the winter when it was cold and we were having the heating on a lot more, we were using a bottle every four weeks.

The company we use are called ongas.

Even during the winter months, for the 5 of you Marcia, I think that's very reasonable don't you ? Especially when you compare the size of your house (did you say it was 300 sq mts ish?) to the size of ours (about 180 sq mts) and the fact that there are only 2 of us.

Mind you (and I know you are the same!) I refuse to be cold and I put the gas fire on probably more often than was needed ...

Julie

xx

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. The gas combi boiler seems to be the way to go. What is the water flow like in your experience, as I remember combi boliers seemed to only trickle hot water out really slowly. We will have mains water on our section, so this should help, but I need a decent flow rate for hot water (and decent temperature). Would a particular model do the trick?

Thanks,

Tim

Well, I had the most impressive shower since I've been in NZ last weekend.... and that was on of those boilers!!!

There is a UK plumber living in our town and he was telling us that he installed a complete central heating system (as in UK) and it cost him about $15k just for the stuff as he fitted it himself. Mind you he had a huge amount of radiators, 20 I seem to recall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast