Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The UV sun strength in New Zealand

Question The UV sun strength in New Zealand

http://www.enz.org/NewZealandSunshine.html
    But How Pleasant Is The Sunshine?

In high summer, the sunshine in New Zealand is really strong. You'll burn more easily here in New Zealand than anywhere in the Mediterranean.

For our scientifically minded readers, there are three reasons why the sun in the Southern Hemisphere is so strong.

There is less ozone here to block the UV rays that cause sunburn.

Earth's orbit takes it closer to the sun during the southern summer than during the northern summer.

There is less pollution in the southern-hemisphere to block the UV rays.

The sun's burning strength is measured by the UV index. The highest possible UV index at sea-level is about 20. This can occur at midday in equatorial regions. Any reading higher than 10 is extreme in terms of skin-damage.

The UV Index in the Mediterranean in high-summer reaches 9 or 10.

The people in Florida are fried on a just a few days each summer when the index reaches 12.

In New Zealand the summer index often exceeds 12. In the far North, 14 is reached - risky even for people with naturally brown skin.

Daily predictions of New Zealand's UV levels are available from NIWA. NIWA's site is particularly useful because you can also find out what the sun's strength will be at different times of the day.

Unless you're keen to look like toasted lobster, you need to take precautions. If you arrive in summer, you'll notice that a surprising number of New Zealanders look like they're taking none - most people don't wear hats. Many New Zealanders are very slack about sun precautions so it's not surprising that there are high skin cancer rates here.

In fact, New Zealand has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world with almost 50,000 new cases diagnosed each year!! Thankfully most of these cases are not serious, but the reality is that about 200 New Zealanders die each year of skin cancer.

If you're worried about skin-cancer you can have your skin checked by skin-scans or mole-maps; you will see lots of newspaper-ads in New Zealand for this type of check-up.

The common message is slip, slop, slap and wrap:

Slip on a shirt.

Slop on the sun cream.

Slap on a hat.

Wrap around sunglasses.

And there's a lot of sense in that.
    Hi

these are some Interesting, yet surprising facts about the strength of the NZ sun.

I am from England. How much stronger does the NZ sun feel on ones skins than the sun in England?

I would imagine that the strength of the NZ causes a real problem when it comes to allowing people to enjoy the NZ great outdoors.

I am interested in Christchurch. How high does the UV index reach in Christchurch in the summer?

How easy is it to burn in NZ, for the average skinned caucasian?

All info & feedback greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    JT.

Very, very easy to burn here imho. I usually tan easily but here I will turn a lovely bright red very quickly if I don't put on the slap.

We're in Christchurch, and the sun can feel very hot indeed, even in winter. You really do need to slip, slop, slap and wrap here, wear a hat, wear sunnies and keep the kiddies safe too.

Thanks Moorf.

are you saying that on sunny days in winter, in Christchurch it is necessary to wear sunscreen, and slap on a hat?
    If so, this does sound pretty severe, and stronger than what i was suspecting for Christchurch.

I wear spf30 if i ever wear sunscreen in any country (I have only ever worn sunscreen once in the UK in winter, and that was when skiing in Scotland).

On another matter, I'd just be interested to here your take on where in the northern hemisphere the climate in Christchurch compares to, in your opinion.
    I was thinking that Christchurch might be similar to devon/cornwall, but by the sounds of it christchurch is somewhat warmer.
    Maybe as far south as Invercargill and Stewart Island are somewhat warmer than Devon/Cornwall also?

Thanks again.

We came here from Scotland so I can't really compare with Devon/Cornwall, but yes, despite the chill here in winter the sun remains strong.

We get more extremes here in Chch, and it can get bitter in winter, but it's not constant and the sun is more in evidence here than in the UK, bright sunny crisp winter days are more the norm than grey, overcast. And summer gets very warm in 20's early 30's in Chch - here inland we can get high 30's.

I've had to have 2 dodgy moles removed since being here and am much, much more aware of skin care in the sun. I'm olive skinned and have always turned brown with a few rays, but here I go red far more easily, so it's not just the porcelain peeps that are at risk. I use 30 spf here, seems fine, whereas I'd use 5 or less in UK/Europe

We had rellies over during one Xmas and they decided they'd like tans instead of covering up - after 15 mins sat outside a bar the pink foreheads and arms made them slip, slop, slap and wrap (that's the "sun motto" here in NZ). See the following website for info: http://www.sunsmart.org.nz/

HTH
    Moorf

When we first arrived (January) I was shocked by how the sun on my bare arms felt like it was shining through a magnifying glass.

You just need a different mindset to the sun. We all wear hats and sunnies (SPF ones because eyes can get really damaged from prolonged exposure to bright sunshine), kids included and slap on lashings of SPF 30 sunscreen when getting washed and dressed in the morning. I use an all day one and just make sure I apply it really thickly. If we swim for long I reapply. the kids wear sun protective clothing in places where they're likely to get a lot of exposure, IE beach outdoor pool etc.

I enjoy the warmth and the sunshine, but as I've never enjoyed 'sunbathing' or lying out in it I find taking the extra precautions to be no real bother at all.

Yesterday my friend and I sat out on her deck for a chat at 11am and she burned in 10 mins without sunscreen!

Yes, as both Moorf and Lupin have said, the sun is very strong and not comparable to the UK or even the Med.

It's intense, but it's not a problem if you slip, slap, wrap. You'll soon get used to this way of life and if you do forget and get a little sunburn, you'll certainly remember the next time !!!

DO NOT think that living with the sun in NZ is like living with the sun in say Spain/Greece etc. because it's not.

Even in winter the suns strength is intense - don't be fooled.

I LOVE sunny winter days, but unfortunately (at least where we live) that usually means clear, but quite cold winter nights.

Julie

xx

I would agree with moorf & Lupin and often explain to friends here in the UK that 22 degrees in NZ is very different to 22 degrees in the UK. It does hurt in the way sun does when being shone through a magnifying glass as Lupin has said. I certainly never went without sunscreen less than 30 for me or the chidren - even in winter as the day can start cold/grey then the sun will come out and you'll find you're in a t-shirt!

L

I'm in Christchurch and you can't make a comparison with the weather in UK - in fact I don't think you can compare it with anywhere in the world as there really is nowhere like it. You can have days in the winter where it feels like the middle of summer and days in the summer where it feels like the middle of winter (a southerly can hit at any time!). The day can start off like winter and end up like summer and vice versa. The sun is very strong although a friend who is a doctor says there is no need for sunscreen during the winter!

Sun very strong this weekend. I have also noticed that I have had a vague suntan ever since we arrived 19 months ago. In the UK I am lilly white at the end of winter, but my face is lightly tanned (I am naturally extremely pale!)

Kate x

We have just got back from a holiday in Australia i was so shocked in the difference in the sun over there compared with NZ.
    I took 30 45 and 50spf and i really didnt think i needed them to be so high there wasnt that "burn" feeling u get here in chch it was hot but a different hot! just shows how bad it is in NZ.
    Joanne

I'm just beginning to cotton on to what everyone was on about having been here (Auckland) since the beginning of August. The sun is intense and I've noticed my nose and cheeks getting a reddish sort of tan already. I've also noticed that all kids where shirts/sun tops at the beach and our son (who doesn't have a waterproof one yet) is the exception. He got sunburnt the other day at the Seafood festival just sitting to eat lunch (approx. 30 mins)!

Its definitely going to have to become 2nd nature to slap on the SPF30+ every morning for all of us! Does anyone have any recommendations of brands of sunscreen that last and soak in quickly?

Anneliese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast