Thread: Applying for teaching jobs.

Default Applying for teaching jobs.

Hello, I just wanted to ask any other primary teachers out there about their experiences applying for teaching jobs in NZ. I am in Christchurch and have just received my NZQA assessment, next step is registering with teachers council then I will be able to go job hunting. I taught for 3yrs in England before moving here but I understand I will only be able to get provisional teaching registration here. How do I stand with regards applying for teaching jobs stating they need experienced or fully registered teachers here? Is provisional registration different from full registration? Do you think head teachers would value my experience even though I will be registered the same as a beginner teacher here? Did anyone have experience of bias against them when applying for jobs or was your UK (or similar) teaching experience taken as equivalent value and relevant? Also, can you give me and idea about how long the teacher registration process took for you?
    Any thoughts and answers greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Anna

Teacher Reg. for me took about 7 weeks and I got Provisional Registration which I expected. Don't think jobs state full Reg. required, just that you are registered. Have yet to secure an interview so not sure of your other questions! I'm using Select Education Agency at the mo,. who seem very positive they will find me a job?!

Default im a teacher

hi you need to contact oasis education, they will answer all your questions i met them at the expo last year they are extremley helpful ,they will tell you pay scales - i should go on top pay scale due to relavant years experience like the uk I speak to is Helen Murtagh she recruits for primary teachers she is over here this weekend recruiting for jan/feb start and they are at the expo i london earls court. You can get temporary and permanent work - i will probably wait until we get there and supply for them first ,my problem is i need to sort out childcare and my husband needs to get a job, his will be harder to find than mine -there are schools everywhere. Good luck keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    Hello, I just wanted to ask any other primary teachers out there about their experiences applying for teaching jobs in NZ. I am in Christchurch and have just received my NZQA assessment, next step is registering with teachers council then I will be able to go job hunting. I taught for 3yrs in England before moving here but I understand I will only be able to get provisional teaching registration here. How do I stand with regards applying for teaching jobs stating they need experienced or fully registered teachers here? Is provisional registration different from full registration? Do you think head teachers would value my experience even though I will be registered the same as a beginner teacher here? Did anyone have experience of bias against them when applying for jobs or was your UK (or similar) teaching experience taken as equivalent value and relevant? Also, can you give me and idea about how long the teacher registration process took for you?
    Any thoughts and answers greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Anna

But Helen only recruits for Auckland schools....