Thread: Fastest route from Auckland to Wellington?

Default Fastest route from Auckland to Wellington?

My OH and I can't agree on the fastest route/best drive from Auckland to Wellington from just looking at the map. Any suggestions/experiences? (We don't want to do the touristy bits, just get from the north of the North Island to the south of the South Island without wasting too much time.)

State highway 1 is the quickest drive. The only diversion I have always taken in the past is to take the road to the west of Lake Taupo. This misses out alot of traffic in central Taupo, and is a pretty drive (no petrol stations, if memory serves me right, until you rejoin SH1).

Yup, that's the same route we did, including the west side of Taupo, and there are no petrol stations from Tokoroa until that other town beginning with 't' on the South side of the lake.

Fly!

SH1....but avoid Hamilton by going via Matamata - much quicker and then it swings you back onto SH1 above Rotovegas.

Neil

Thanks for the replies!
    Smiler, flying is not an option, we've bought a car already!

I'd possibly go the other way round Tongariro, down through Taumarunui and National Park way - SH4 I think?
    It's a nice drive, and you can go and see Raurimu at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I'd possibly go the other way round Tongariro, down through Taumarunui and National Park way - SH4 I think?
    It's a nice drive, and you can go and see Raurimu at the same time!
    We've been this way and prefer it to the Taupo route, which can be busy at holidays and weekends.

Yes, fill up the tank before you leave too, I think Taumarunui has the only gas for miles...... this way looks slower on the map but really isn't, just less crowded.

We did State highway one all the way which is good as my husband cannot read maps which saved lots of stress on the way. Amazing really that you can do the whole journey on one road & I thought husband was joking when he said you just stay on this road . Did break up the journey in Taupo though as 2 small back seat drivers with us .
    Jackie