Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby in NZ-Fact or Fiction??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Baby in NZ-Fact or Fiction??

Hi,

I have been chatting to various family members this weekend about the fact that we would like to start a family in NZ, and two people BOTH said something about babies born in NZ..and I panicked slightly, Can any of you help??

I was told that they 'knew people' who had had babies in NZ, and then when they wanted to come home, NZ wouldn't let the parents bring the child back to Uk...I find this sooooo hard to believe..the other story was that a couple had a child, split up, and the mum wanted to bring the child back to the Uk and wasn't allowed???

Am I being gullable?? Have any of you ever heard of this, I know there are lot and lots of you that have had babies in NZ.....Help!!

J xx

Defo sounds like a desperate ploy to keep you in blighty to me! Someone with more info will be along soon ....

The only issue with travel is maybe a visa back into the UK, but if you get them a UK passport then no probs there. For them to be NZ citizens

From 1 January 2006, children born in New Zealand (or in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau) will acquire New Zealand citizenship at birth only if at least one of their parents:

is a New Zealand citizen; or
    is entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely in terms of the Immigration Act 1987(ie a residence permit holder or Australian citizen); or
    is entitled to reside indefinitely in the Cook Islands, Tokelau or Niue.

the other scenario could happen I suppose if there was a custody battle...

We have friends who have been here over 5 years and have a child, who was actually born in the UK, and have split up. As I believe it neither of them can leave the country permanently without the others permission.

So as already said the problem would be only if there is a custody battle

We must have been posting at the same time. Again if born in NZ but both parents are from the UK the child would be able to have a UK passport.

I'm sure people who have already had children in NZ will be able to explain more.

so....if we we're to have a child...we both have PR so would the child be a NZ citizen? Is it easy to get a British passport aswell??....think I need to do LOTS of research!!!!!!!!!!!

J xx

Quote Originally Posted by holland View Post
    so....if we we're to have a child...we both have PR so would the child be a NZ citizen? Is it easy to get a British passport aswell??....think I need to do LOTS of research!!!!!!!!!!!

J xx
    Yes they would be a kiwi. Our daughter was born here last year and we have a NZ passport for her. We have also returned to the UK on that passport with no problems (she was not allowed to work by the stamp in her passport but she was 13 months so not a big issue ). We haven't got a UK one yet as it is very expensive here. We will probably wait until/if we return to the UK. One difference our daughter will have is she is deemed British by descent and as such any children she may have in the future would not automatically be entitled to a British passport

Quote Originally Posted by incredible hulse View Post
    Yes they would be a kiwi. Our daughter was born here last year and we have a NZ passport for her. We have also returned to the UK on that passport with no problems (she was not allowed to work by the stamp in her passport but she was 13 months so not a big issue ). We haven't got a UK one yet as it is very expensive here. We will probably wait until/if we return to the UK. One difference our daughter will have is she is deemed British by descent and as such any children she may have in the future would not automatically be entitled to a British passport
    Considering that immigration laws in Europe become tougher you should redeem as soon as possible a British passport even it is useless now but in a way to record at the earliest her British descent.

In France for what I know there are numerous cases of overseas born people in trouble to get their French nationality back because their parents didn't make it in their very young age.

Do not forget also that a British passport will give her access to the whole EEC.

I was told that they 'knew people' who had had babies in NZ, and then when they wanted to come home, NZ wouldn't let the parents bring the child back to Uk
    If you have a child in NZ, and you both have PR, the child will be a NZ citizen. Since NZ citizens don't need a visa to enter the UK, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to bring it back. It is also no problem at all to get a British passport for the child, it can have both nationalities without any issues whatsoever.

the other story was that a couple had a child, split up, and the mum wanted to bring the child back to the Uk and wasn't allowed???
    This is fairly standard, you cannot remove a child from one country if the other parent has parental responsibility and is opposed to the move. That would apply the other way round as well, though, if you had a baby in the UK, split from your partner and decided to move to another country, you could only do so with his or her consent.

Sounds like odd stories to me, and I'm sure there must be other issues to them than just the dual nationalties.

Don't worry about it, honestly As others have said, the only issues will arise in case of disagreements between the parents after a split.

Daniela

Have you seen this thread?

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9509

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast