Here's my dilemma; I am a primary teacher about to start (1/2 term which is end of Oct) a temporary maternity leave cover, position.

As a condition of service I have to give 1/2 a terms notice.

I am hoping to get a job to start at the beginning of Feb. in NZ, so in theory I have to give notice at the same time as I start my new job! Which I am loathe to do as I haven't actually got a job yet, indeed may not get a job in nZ at all, and certainly don't want to worry the Head of new school.

I haven't signed any contract yet but am expecting to do so soon. What do I do?

I feel VERY dishonest/ uncomfortable not saying anything but I don't want to rock the boat unneccesaarily in case it comes to nothing and we have to wait longer to strike lucky with a job.

Should I mention it, saying my CV is in with an agent, as it is, but playing it down ?

Should I wait til a few weeks into the job? I do have 3 or 4 weeks to play with as new job in NZ would start early Feb not beginning Jan, so the 1/2 term notice can stretch inot Feb.

Or as someone suggested say nothing til job in bag, then tell them I'm off and what can they do once I've left the country?

Breach of contract? what could that mean in reality?