Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ status according to income

Default NZ status according to income

NZ rated as low middle income

New figures from OECD rank New Zealand as low middle income country - Australia rated high middle income

12 January 2005

There are some figures to support the belief that the grass is greener across the Tasman.

New figures from the OECD rank New Zealand as a low middle income country.

Australia on the other hand is classed as high middle income.

The rankings are based on purchasing power, taking into account the cost of around 3000 items, from a litre of milk to building a house.

Luxembourg is the richest nation.

The other high income nations are Norway, the United States, Ireland and Switzerland.

Another 14 were listed as high middle income.

They include Britain, Canada, France, Japan and Australia.

New Zealand is lumped low middle with the likes of Spain, Israel, Greece and Korea.

The unlucky last in the low income group is the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Hi Timbo

Just to put this into persepective - Ireland, the last I heard, is supposedly the second richest country behind Luxembourg in terms of GDP. What does that mean to the average Joe/Joanna?

Affordable housing in Dublin is around €260-300 for a modest semi. This means that an awful lot of young people in this country can't afford to buy their own homes and the age at which 'children' move out of the family home is now in the late 20s/early 30s.

I believe that a country's wealth is judged on how it treats its sick and elderly. Well, people who have worked all their lives and paid national insurance are lying (and dying) on trolleys in hospital corridors and if they can walk and need to go to the loo someone has to stay behind to mind the trolley or it will be gone before they come back! My mother (68) is a widow and has to have a 'day job' minding children so she can afford any luxuries such as a full tank of oil for the central heating instead of a half one!

Following on the lines of the Asian Tiger of some years ago, some policitian coined the phrase 'Celtic Tiger' to describe the marvellous wealth we were all supposed to have. As one woman put it succinctly "Celtic Tiger? we're not even a stripe on its a**se!"

There's statistics, statistics and damn statistics. In NZ $ terms I earn nearly $70k but that's the average industrial wage here so I'm working class. That doesn't cost me a thought but at $70k in NZ I'd be a hell of a lot better off, even knowing all the costs/prices etc.etc. in NZ.

Sorry for going on but this is one of my soap box topics and one of the reasons I won't be sorry to be leaving here.

I notice that NZ is classed as in the same group as Spain. Strange how so many Brits are trying to escape to either one or the other dont you think?
    It just goes to show that personal wealth is not top priority to a great many people, myself included.

I agree and I was just thinking the same thing about Spain! I've read the article and see that Ireland is actually 4th now. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind :

Also Timbo

is this survey is bassed on how much people can afford then it also needs to considere taxation and priorities. Norway and Sweden have very low tax levels but the costs of their goods is high. But if you were to survey them in the street are they choosing what they could afford or what they need i.e. Health Insurance etc.

Just a mute point that may need to be considered.

interesting though how many poeple are choosing lifestyle over money.

As they say 'Money is the root of all evil'

Jo

Hear Hear, just had a similar rant in another thread! Money isn't everything - money doesn't prevent you getting ill, from having marriage breakdowns, from getting knocked over by a speeding driver / getting killed in French road tunnels! :eek

Life is what you make of it. Quality is not about how much is in the bank, granted it is helpful for paying bills etc. but what you do with what you have that counts.

I have very rich relatives who live very frugal country lives. Money doesn't concern them, they just keep farming and living life to the full. They still make their own butter, live off the land, drive battered old cars, not BMW's or Mercs.

Love life and remember we aren't on this earth for long!

I think when you speak of people moving to both spain and NZ you should perhaps consider that a lot of them are taking their UK house money with them. This obviously skews the quality of life = how much they earn factor, as most of them will be able to have a much smaller mortgage (if one at all) and consequently much more disposable income.

okay, look. am prepared to take a drop in income (if necessary!!!) but not prepared to start making butter.

pls tell me we dont have to make our own butter...

Ohhh is that why you are given your own cow and five choocks when you arrive at immigration?

my daughter is convinced nz consists of fields and roads - this thread wont help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast