Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pet supplies in Wellington?

Default pet supplies in Wellington?

We get to bring our kitties home out of quarantine Monday, and we are so excited!!!

We need to shop for them this weekend: dry cat food, clumping kitty litter, litter boxes, etc.

While the grocery stores carry much of this stuff, prices seem high and selection slim. (for example, I saw what I considered a tiny box of clumping litter at New World for over 11.00!! )

If anyone could suggest any good pet supply stores, I'd appreciate it!

Christine

How exciting, it'll be like getting the family back together again

Animates on Old Hutt Road, road that runs alongside the highway, is the only one I can think of, other than that the Warehouse do some pet things as well.

Yeah I'd say Animates in Kaiwharawhara, or the one in Lower Hutt is pretty good too

Thanks!! I'm so excited about this shopping trip (it's almost as exciting as buying shoes!! )

I can't wait to get my boys here!! I've missed them so much....we've been luring the neighbor's cat over today just to get a quick fix..can't wait until Monday!! Yay! Charlie Parker is the one pictured as my avatar; Li'l Kitty Coltrane is his brother

Hi Christine,

If once the kitties arrive you are too busy playing games to go out and get their supplies why not try one of the pet food delivery companies eg, petfood2u or petpost. The first one is based in Wellington and I think they do free delivery within the Welly area. It's handy if you buy in bulk.

Happy kitty days
    Karen and Archie then mischievous kitten

We got the stuff at Animates. Nice staff there and it's a convenient location for us. They have a sale going on litter, so we'll stock up if it's good. Thanks.

Animates! We actually drive especially to shop for our boy. You get reward points too & all sorts of sale offers. Lovely staff & an excellent selection of stock. Ooh give the babies an extra back tickle from me.

I find Animates extraordinarily expensive for everything!

There are loads of pet places in Welly - Johnsonville Porirua etc.

Animates seemed cheaper to us than the local supermarket or the Warehouse on the items we needed (which both only had 2-3 brands of food and litter to select from).

Sadly, of the places I've looked so far (about five), I find that pet supplies overall are outrageously expensive in NZ compared to the US (but I'm not surprised, I guess). We usually feed our kitties Iams dry food, and we had not seen it anywhere until we went to Animates--and a medium bag is 47.00! We would have paid about 9-11.00 for that in the US.

They also had Science Diet and ProPlan, which we had not seen anywhere else, but those were in the 60.00 range for a medium bag (and would have cost about 12-15.00 for that size bag in the US).

As for litter, we had only seen one brand of clumping litter in the supermarket, and it was a tiny little box for 11.00. At Animates, they had at least three brands, but a large bag runs average 43.00 thankfully, they had some medium bags of one brand on sale for 15.00 each (normally 23.00).

Water dishes and self feeders were 20.00-50.00 (luckily we already had those). Litter boxes (the covered kind) were 100.00 each....!!! And they are just made of cheap plastic

So, while we were thrilled to find lots of selection there, I do think the prices are high...but frankly, most everything we've shopped for has seemed high to us (and we did know this would be the case coming over).

It doesn't make it any easier to swallow, though.

I figure everyone goes through the trial and error phase of paying too much because they didn't know any better...until I know better, I'm glad that I found Animates because we really needed to get our supplies before Monday (kinda sneaked up on us).

Carol, if you recall the names of any of the better-priced places, please let me know. I've been on the lookout but haven't seen anything (I'm sure I just don't know where to look yet).

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and the well-wishes for getting our kitties home. I'm sooooooooo excited! I know it may seem silly to some, but they really are a part of the family!

Cheers,
    Christine

We couldn't bring our dog and I still could cry an ocean over her if I allowed myself to...

Yes, they are part of the family and soon you'll all be back together - however much it costs !!

I can sense happy days ahead for you all.

Julie

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast