Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Prices

Default Bike Prices

My Bike is very old and heavy and needs replacing.

Are bikes expensive in NZ? Would it be worth buying a new one here and shipping it with the rest of our stuff?

We've been looking on Trade Me and depending on how "posh" a bike you want I think they are cheaper - sure someone out there will correct me on this!?!
    K

There is a wide range of bikes and prices in NZ (also seem to be quite a few bike shops around).

When the special offers are on there are some bargains (IMO) e.g. at K-Mart and Warehouse.

For example, Mens 21 speed (shimano) Mountain bike with Aluminium frame, front suspension for NZ$119 (similar spec and cost for Womens).

Ian

Forgive me for being a bike snob, but for $119 you'll be getting a bike that's worth exactly that - the components will be HEAVY, the fork won't be able to cope with much, and the whole thing will likely fall apart after not much use

See this article for more info:
    http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/Art...article=NO_BSO

If the one you have is falling apart, then personally, I'd go to your local bike shop (in the UK) and buy a new one and ship it over - if you're shipping stuff anyway, a bike (or 3) won't take up that much room, and if you don't really use it except to make sure it's set up right, you shouldn't have to clean it except from making sure it's not got mud hanging off it!

I think you might be a bit of a bike snob

The frame is aluminium so lighter than a lot, and the frame and forks have a lifetime warranty so unlikely to fail.

They are the number 1 bike brand in the U.S. and have sold more than 100 millon bikes, so they must be doing something right.

I did say "There is a wide range of bikes and prices in NZ" and I am sure that the OP could find what they are looking for.

Ian

Oops ! Didn't mean to cause a row!

Thank you for all the recommendations. It's a mountain bike so I'll look at all the websights and check into prices.

I haven't had a new bike in 15 years so I reckon I can treat myself - my old one weighs a ton!

Thanks again folks.

I didn't think you had!
    I was just giving my PERSONAL view that "bargain" bikes are a false economy. I've ridden lots of different bikes over the years, and you really do get what you pay for!

If you want a mountain bike, IMO you can't go far wrong with Specialized or Giant - Evans Cycles are very good, they have a website - www.evanscycles.com where you can look at bikes, and they have shops all over the country (UK) where you can go and have a play to your heart's content!

No arguments here

If you are thinking about buying a new bike in the UK before you go then consider shipping options carefully, I'm sure that I have seen more than one complaint on this forum about damage caused during shipping. As you can imagine they are not the easiest things to pack.

Ian

can you get Trek bicycles in NZ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast