Thread: Haggling over price of car

Default Haggling over price of car

This may be a stupid question, but hey ....

At NZ car dealers, do you customarily bargain down the car price from what the dealership lists? How about with private sellers?

Thanks.

We negotiated the price of our Rav4 down from 10,995 to 10,000.

Always worth a go.. especially if you are paying cash or credit card or debit card i.e not on finance.

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

You've more chance of getting a discount from a dealer if you're paying cash, but don't expect much more than 10%.

Private sellers may give more, but the risks are greater too.

As always, shop around.

Default Re: Haggling over price of car

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    This may be a stupid question, but hey ....

At NZ car dealers, do you customarily bargain down the car price from what the dealership lists? How about with private sellers?

Thanks.
    When we bought our car we paid around $17k. I asked the dealership owner what the profit was like in sales of imports. He said he generally puts the car on the forecourt for $3k more than he bought it for. Out of that has to come any repair/preparation costs, compliance cost etc.

There are so many second hand car dealers in ChCh they must struggle to sell all of their cars so I am sure they are open to offers.

Jon also haggled the price down for our car, and pretty much everthing else we have bought here

I'm not too good , I get to ops: but I am not complaining :P

Joanne

We got $1K off both our cars - one was a Japanese import & one was an ex-demo new car from a dealership. It certainly pays to ask what the dealer can do if you're paying cash (they also threw in the on-the road costs too).

We've just picked up our Toyota Estima (Japan import) forecourt price $20,999.00 - we paid $18,000.00 from a Toyota dealer.

1999 vintage 2.5ltr all mod cons air conn (standard it seems) and got CD fitted & 12 month warranty)

Our car was ad at $11000 - we got it for $9000, partly becuase we were enroute to another garage at the time! We had to pay our own rego, which was $100 but that was it. From tha above, would always expect to get at elast $1000 off the avertised price.