Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Developers - Advices

Question Java Developers - Advices

Is there anyone working with Java development in this forum? I´m going to be arriving in NZ in January/February 2008 and any kind of information regarding this area would be extremely helpful.

So far Auckland and Wellington seen to be the best places for this kind of job hunting. I was wondering if there´s any demand in the South Island too... that would perfect since I would love to live in Christchurch...

As far as I know the best websites to look for this kind of job is SeekIT and Trademe. Is there any other worth looking?

Thanks in advance!

Geekzone has a jobs forum, might find something there.

hi, my partner was in this line of work but has gone back to the UK. There are a number of recruitment agencies that you should be able to locate off the net. They are in urgent need of Java developers. BUT, the jobs are mainly in Wellington or Auckland. Few contracts in Chch and almost none anywhere else in the South Island.

There is work in Christchurch for java developers, not as many choices as
    Auckland though, but then Auckland has a larger population.

Don't now about agencies, never had to use one.

Derek (joanne100 OH who is a java developer)

I work in IT (although not a developer) and can confirm the above.

My OH is in Java and got a job very easily in Auckland, you could always give Christchurch a few weeks first and if nothing turns up head to either Wellington or Auckland.

Initial Salary range for a Java programmer in Auckland is about $65,000 to $90,000, depending on experience.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    My OH is in Java and got a job very easily in Auckland, you could always give Christchurch a few weeks first and if nothing turns up head to either Wellington or Auckland.

Initial Salary range for a Java programmer in Auckland is about $65,000 to $90,000, depending on experience.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Tia
    That sounds about right...how many years experience do you have? Are you certified?
    Could look at both Telecom & Vodafone...both recruiting at moment and pay well. Very easy to find this kind of work in Auckland.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I have been working as a Java developer for 5 years now, mostly for big companies here. I have 3 certifications (SCJP, SCWCD and SCBCD) and intent to get the architect certification as soon as possible.

With all that I consider myself quite experienced, specially with web development since I have been working with all major frameworks used in that area (and some obscure ones, I may add...).

If I get a job that pays more than 70K (at least for the first months) I wold be extremely happy. 80K+ would be perfect but I think this is going to be hard
    with no NZ experience at all.

Auckland looks like a big city but I am probably going to prefer to Wellington or some other smaller city.

Quote Originally Posted by emaino View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

I have been working as a Java developer for 5 years now, mostly for big companies here. I have 3 certifications (SCJP, SCWCD and SCBCD) and intent to get the architect certification as soon as possible.

With all that I consider myself quite experienced, specially with web development since I have been working with all major frameworks used in that area (and some obscure ones, I may add...).

If I get a job that pays more than 70K (at least for the first months) I wold be extremely happy. 80K+ would be perfect but I think this is going to be hard
    with no NZ experience at all.

Auckland looks like a big city but I am probably going to prefer to Wellington or some other smaller city.
    With that kind of experience, you could easily find $90k + with larger companies. Don't undersell yourself.....PM if you like

Hi Emaino,

I am in the same boat as you, with the same experience and certifications. What kind of visa do you have ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast