Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you should move to Hawkes Bay

Yeah yeah yeah - all you smug Hawkes Bay people - heard it all before (and I'm NOT jealous AT ALL!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy-Dee View Post
    But what about ski-ing?? How far and how good?
    Ruapehu is the nearest proper ski field. It's the centre of NI and would take a bit less than 3 hrs from Hawkes Bay. Plenty of people head over for weekends (and even for the day!) in the ski season

http://www.mtruapehu.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    .. and what are the beaches like?

Property prices?

Always had one eye on that area... but, you know, North Island and all that
    Napier beach is less good, if you like to actually get in the water (and get back out, lol). But the bay has many, many beaches, including Ocean Beach,

Waimarama,

Kairakau,

Mangakuri and then the further ones Aramoana (with the Te Angiangi Marine Reserve- my husband swam over a ray while snorkelling there!), Pourerere, Blackhead, Porangahau. Here's a link to the main CHB ones and then there are several beauts north of Napier and south of those I've listed. They vary from black shingle to gorgeous fluffy sand, from sheltered swimming spots to drag-you-out and drown-you rip tides!

And as for property prices- as I mentioned, it was a plus factor for us because the home ownership dream of the modest immigrant is still doable. The minted immigrant is in paradise here

Here's a link to what $300K or more will get you in Central Hawkes Bay (where my heart is)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...49=0&x=44&y=13

and one to what the same will get you in Hastings district

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...49=0&x=54&y=16

and same in Napier district

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...49=0&x=76&y=17

If you're not familiar with trademe, use the 'sort by' drop down scroll to organise the property by 'lowest price' or 'highest price' etc.

PS No I don't work in the tourism industry!! I work in a small school that I hope remains small as long as my kids attend, but I hate the 'last one in draw up the ladder' attitude.

I've found paradise and it has plenty of room for a few more .....

Love Hawkes Bay area but unfortunately same problem as Anita - no work for me to pay the bills, mortgage, kids things, pension, etc. If the lottery comes up I'll bare it in mind though

Quote Originally Posted by willsken View Post
    Become a teacher! (Helps having an OH who's a builder and judging by the amount of building going on, people are moving here)
    I am a teacher and would LOVE to come and work and live in the area, if only I would be offered a job! Now then, back to those application forms......

Lupin, You have made my day starting this thread, just what I needed to cheer me up when I am up on a Sunday at such a silly time as I forgot about the clocks going back!!

We arrive in the bay on the 24th November.......CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

I'm soooooo exitied

J xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah - all you smug Hawkes Bay people - heard it all before (and I'm NOT jealous AT ALL!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin77 View Post
    [LIST][*]Property: and lots of developments are springing up on the outskirts like this one
    Very nice and was interested until I saw it was 600k for a 1/2 acre section

Stop it, Stop it, Stop it wont you !!!! GGRRRR

(only kidding) But seriously after spending a weekend up there visiting Nicola and family it was sure a wonderful area. And having been in Welly for 3 months with its climate i do daily wonder why i am living here (theres some great days, but also many very bad days!) no actually i know why i am living here. As others have said it seemed easier to find work down here, although i have since seen many jobs etc elsewhere.

Ah well, give it time i am only renting so the world one day will be my oyster

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBennett View Post
    (only kidding) But seriously after spending a weekend up there visiting Nicola and family it was sure a wonderful area.
    Lovely isn't it Lee! Once all the qualifications are sorted I'd bet there'd be loads of work round the Bay for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast