Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you should move to Hawkes Bay

Wink Why you should move to Hawkes Bay

• Climate. This is a wine region. It rarely reaches zero C in winter and summers and long and hot
    • Proximity to coast. Loads of gorgeous beaches here in Hawkes Bay and no need to share them
    • Future growth. The airport will go International within a few years. All the ingredients are here for Hawkes Bay
    • Schools. Fantastic schools including several well regarded independent schools.
    • Affluent area. Hawkes Bay is a funny place- a drive around the less nice suburbs of Hastings and Napier confirms that NZ's underbelly is alive and kicking here (as everywhere else) but we have some incredibly affluent areas- wineries and mansions abound in the Te Mata Peak area.
    • Natures playground. We've got it all folks The might Tukituki is perfect for swimming, kayaking and fishing. the Ruahines and Kaweka mountain ranges have tramps from half day family friendly ones to the full-on extreme snow field tramps for the tramp enthusiast. We have lakes that are out of this world (Waikaremoana springs to mind) and unspoilt beaches aplenty to explore.
    • Twin cities of Hastings and Napier, only 20km apart, but totally different! Napier is a trendy, beautiful coffee shop art deco mecca. Hastings is more of a quintessential Kiwi rural town. Havelock North is most UK emigrants dream of NZ realised; excellent housing and schools, gorgeous little village centre (but don't be fooled- it's a town), community feel (including ex-pat community), wonderful outdoor pool, boutique shopping, etc, etc.
    • Property: Full range of property, but really well priced. Hastings and Napier both have 'nice' but less expensive areas, Havelock North has some middle range and lots of dearer properties and lots of developments are springing up on the outskirts like this one . Reasonable 3 bed town homes are from $250 in Central HAwkes Bay (Waipukarua, Waipawa and Otane) and from $300 in Napier/Hastings but you can find cheaper with ease. Very decent homes of similar size in the decent areas or CHB towns are more like $3-400 and in Napier Hastings $400+. Lifestyle property is well priced here, especially if you get into the Central Hawkes Bay region where you can get the acreage and home for $300+.
    I could go on and on, but I do wonder- why aren't you heading here?

We did and we are and loving every minuter of living in Havelock North.

Sipping Tuki wine opposite the vineyard at the Te Mata cheese factory munching on an antipasto platter... mmmm....

Here and loving every minute of it!! I think Hawke's Bay is the most beautiful place to live. I love the landscape.

I also love Hawke’s Bay

People often ask me, why did you choose Hawke’s Bay? I always answer, Have you ever been there? Their answer has to date always been a resounding NO. I genuinely believe that if you spend time in the Bay you’ll understand and thus would never ask the question.

I think people move to Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch for work opportunities; people move to the Bay for lifestyle. With a population of approximately 150K it’s large enough to have the atmosphere other regions lack (IMHO); but small enough, to not feel overpopulated.

I can thus totally vouch for every word of Lupins ‘review’ so why aren’t you heading there?

Lonely Planet guide was in trouble last year for saying about the Bay three main towns…
    HAVELOCK NORTH
    “Five kilometres southeast of Hastings’ rural toil, Havelock North is a different kettle of fish (or vat of wine) altogether. Range Rovers and BMWs cruise the streets as bleached-blonde 50-something wine wives sip lattes in a prosperous village atmosphere. The towering backdrop of Te Mata Peak keeps egos in check.”
    HASTINGS
    “Hastings is a utilitarian agricultural town with tractors on the streets and little of the chutzpah Napier manifests so readily. A random scene: a shirtless young renegade drives his ember-red utility around and around Hastings’ main block, The Doors’ Light My Fire stuck on repeat, blaring from open windows, an unlit cigarette dangling from his lip… The question is, will Hastings light your fire?”
    NAPIER
    “A dignified, sunny, composed city, there’s the air of an affluent English seaside resort about the place. The focus rests squarely on Napier’s urban virtues: its much-vaunted Art Deco architecture is milked for every tourist dollar, while good-looking middle-agers who’ve had too much sun glide between cool cafés.”

I know you don’t agree with their take on Hastings Luppin, It’s not the gospel, more of a caricature of the Bay, only more accurate than that. Absolutely your right, Havelock North is most UK emigrants utopia, if the Bay had a US style license plate slogan it could be ‘Hawke’s Bay – why aren’t you there?’

I also, could go on and on, and probably will
    James

But what about ski-ing?? How far and how good?

.. and what are the beaches like?

Property prices?

Always had one eye on that area... but, you know, North Island and all that

Hey Lupin, you on the Hawkes Bay tourists board comission list or what ...lol.

Been there a few times and must admit the weather apart from anything else is wonderful. Only a few weeks back i was down there and coming down SH5 the temp was a cool 12 degress, but as soon as we hit the otherside of the ranges it was climbing into the 20's, bit hot for the footie that i was going to play in, but all the same very nice.

Kim

Hi Lupin,

Yes, the Hawke's Bay has always appealed to us as well - and we know all those great reason to be there.

Only one slight problem though: how do you earn a living over there? since we still would need to pay a mortgage, buy food etc.

Anyone ideas on this one?

Thanks,
    anita

Become a teacher! (Helps having an OH who's a builder and judging by the amount of building going on, people are moving here)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast