Thread: How do the Self-employed provide work references?

Default How do the Self-employed provide work references?

Well, I've made a start on the work reference front and got ONE reference from my last full-time job which was 10 years ago, for 1 year. My employers before that have mostly gone out of business - although I've been informed here that I don't need any more than 10 years.

But for the past 9 years I have been self-employed, mainly working for one company who have numerous clients.

How do I provide work references for Immigration if I've been self-employed?
    I probably have gaps in my work periods, so will it still count as 9 years?

I don't think I've had the same accountant over that whole time so I won't be able to provide accounts for the whole 9 years either. These things all of a sudden become hard to remember

My employer-to-be has asked if he can speak to a few people I've worked for too - now I just have to think WHO will say nice things about me!!! And do they still work at the same place?

Piper

My OH and I were also self-employed on moving to NZ - we provided copies of all our previous contracts plus our yearly accounts and any references we could muster. Was fine...

Thanks, Helen, that's very reassuring.

'Contracts'. Hmmm never had any of them though.

Actually, I've just been emailing my new boss to be and I had to write down the names of people he can talk to as referees, there's quite a few I've thought of, so they can all help. I hope!

It's funny really - I said to him that I've always worked on a 'You want the work?' - 'Yeah okay' - 'You got it' basis and now suddenly it's all really formal for Immigration.

Wish I'd REALLY thought of that 10 years ago!