Thread: cover letter for job and CV advice needed

Default cover letter for job and CV advice needed

I know one should never use "to whom it may concern" for the cover letter, but what if you don't know the person's name who will be reviewing your application? If the directions for applying are to "forward cover letter and CV to HR Administrator," then......how to I address this person??? Should I do research and find out who this person is? (and what if I address to the wrong person? I don't always trust that info online is recent).

It seems weird to say, "Dear Human Resources Administrator." but I don't know what else to do!

Also, I know there are lots of threads here about what one should and shouldn't do for CV's and cover letters, and I think I have mine all sorted and composed correctly, but if anyone has any sure-fire tidbits for success to offer, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Christine

Call them. Just call the company's main number and ask what the head of HR's name is; make sure to ask them to spell the name and confirm what that person's exact job title is. They get it all the time, so no worries. Your letter then looks like you made an effort.

Ok, great. I'll do that right now. Thanks for your fast response!

Sorry to ask silly questions but here's one more thing: I usually put reference names and addresses at the bottom of the last page of the CV. In NZ is this standard, or should referees go in the cover letter?

I would address it 'Dear Sir/Madam' as it could be any number of people that look at your covering letter and CV.

With reference to the referees leave them off your CV and covering letter. If they're interested they'll ask for them at a later date.

Lastly good luck

Hi

I have always put "Dear Sir/Madam" and noone has ever said anything. All the jobs I have got always get the same start in the letter.