Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vet fees...

Default Vet fees...

I know many want to know how much it'll cost to take their pets to the vet so thought I'd post these figures... unfortunately Amber has a small tumor on her face that has to be removed (benign, that's the main thing).

Costs involved:

Initial consultation at vet with biopsy and anti-b's - $55
    Operation to remove lump in one piece under anaesthetic with 1 day stay at vet and few days pain relief - $260
    Optional fee to have lump sent for labwork - $130

Hope Amber feels better soon

I've got an invoice for a vet as well, for my cat:

standard consultation: 49.50 dollars
    General surgery (removal of fatty lump under anaesthesia): 48.40 dollars for surgery and 50 dollars for anaesthesia
    Ultrasonic dentistry with minor extractions: 42.20 dollars

Poor Amber, (and a poor worried mummy)

Lucky is feeling for her at the moment, he had to have 4 teeth out (face selled up due to infections), total came out to $500...... consult fee $45 cant remember what all the rest was, but surgery time, anaestetic, antibiotics, blood tests..... she even "forgot" to charge me for a couple of injections! He also had a ten day course of antibiotics inc in that price.

OK, Olive climbed our rose trellis and cut her pads: vet had to cut off damaged pads and treat wounds @ standard visit fee of $45.
    My friend's two labs both needed overnight treatment through eating some kind of poison (never found out what it was) and it came to a shade below $1,000.
    Result: Pet'n'Sure dog insurance @ $30 per month. We had it in UK and really found it useful for our dear old Macy.

Gil

Awww, poor pooches and pusses... hope they're all feeling better soon ...

Sods law applies here Gil - Summer is insured but we hadn't got round to doing Amber yet - agree, pet insurance is sooo worth it. Haven't found as much choice here as in UK though...

"Nil-by-mouth Amber" should be up and bounding around by Saturday

Howie ate some fishing line. Trip to after hours clinic on labour day: $100.
    Trip to regular vet the next day including X-Ray to discover fish hook: $150
    Trip to friends vet for second opinion: $50
    Back to regular vet the following day for pre-surgery blood work + x-ray to discover the hook had almost past + days observation at vet to insure hook passed: $200

All up $500 to find out that my dog successfully passed a fish hook and line on his own. Still a better outcome than having it surgically removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

"Nil-by-mouth Amber" should be up and bounding around by Saturday
    How on earth are you managing to keep her away from Summer's food?

At least she is nil by mouth, Lucky had a recovery diet of cubed meat (so it was soft on his mouth and didnt get into his open gums)..... hubby was most miffed to see me frying up a BBQ steak for the dog of a morning, as he was eating his cereal ready to go to work!

in fact having to feed the dog proper meat for a few days probably added at least another $50 to the bill!

our dog is too old to insure now... and if you dont count his airfare he has been very cheap actually... (just jinxed myself there haven't I?)

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    All up $500 to find out that my dog successfully passed a fish hook and line on his own. Still a better outcome than having it surgically removed.
    and much better than the hook piercing your dog's GI tract and having the contents of it leak in to the body cavity.

Hope Amber's feeling better soon - the skin is so thin on the face too.

I have found that colloidal silver sprayed onto my dog's wounds really helps the healing without having to touch it. This was recommended to me by doggy forum people and I think lots of them use it. I have no idea how much it would cost in NZ but here in the UK it's about £25 a bottle (lasts ages).

The silver came out last week when the daft dog ran into something in the dark and punctured his shoulder. The vet's bill was £105 for a visit, wound cleaned a bit, antibiotic jab and 4 days tablets - with a follow up 20 second look a few days later.

Luckily I have pet insurance for him - he cost over £1500 last year in silly accidents - bit of a clumsy oaf - but this year they removed my no-excess part of the policy (wonder why?) and I have to pay the first £50 now.
    It's still worth it though - the insurance company'll never make their money back on him - he won't live long enough!!!

Cost to have my kitty neutered $45, extra pain relief $6.50 (because I didn't want him in any pain after)

Jules

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast