Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Seats, Planes & Heathrow Booster

Default Car Seats, Planes & Heathrow Booster

We have booked a seat for our not so little 1 year old, on our flight back to the UK. So we will need to use our car seat, its a Britax, similar to this:

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product...52031&mcb=core

We've always had the youngest kids on our lap before and never used this option so I just wondered if their were any problems using car seats on planes?

Also we are flying Air Singapore and so far the people I've contacted haven't been able to tell us if there is a size issue with car seats in airplane seats. Although one person helpfully said 'you can ask them when you check in', I politely pointed out that might be a tad too late to find out it didn't fit!

Also, our car hire company only supplies car seats for 'up to age 5' and doesn't do booster seats. Is there anywhere at Heathrow we can get a booster seat for our 6 year old. I'd rather buy a new one for £10-£15 when we get to the UK than loose the luggage space bringing ours with us.

Oh the joys of travelling with children!

Cheers

Tia

I knew I had seen it somewhere.... (scroll to bottom of page....)

http://www.airnz.co.nz/travelinfo/tr...ingforchildren

Now assuming all airline seats are the same, then these measurements should apply equally to Singapore Airlines....

Tia
    We had this problem on the way over (we flew singapore airlines), you can have them on the plane or they will put them in the hold no charge or extra baggage. We were going to have them both on the plane till the check in guy said its along way for them to go sitting in one, if they are just in the plane seat they have more room to move around & putting the arms up gave them more room (some of which was ours ) Hope this makes sense
    Jackie
    ps try Boots when you land for a booster seat

IMHO you really don't want a car seat on a plane. Total PITA to set up, take up loads of room, uncomfortable for more than a few hours, jam you in the elbows, etc. Not that I've ever done it, but I've seen people with them. Better off just letting junior catch some Z's in a regular seat. A one year old can easily fit into even in an economy class seat. As a six footer, oh how I've envied our two kids as they've curled up and dropped off, while I've sat there wondering whether Homo Aeroplanus will evolve to have more joints in their legs...

Hi Tia,

When I came over recently with Singapore Air, there were 4 families with very young kids all of whom had child car seats and the air hostesses were able to secure them all to the seats.
    A bit is mentioned here about it
    https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...ds.jsp#Header5

Scroll down and you will find it.

Hope this helps

Dave and Caroline

I would put it in the hold, shouldn't count as extra baggage but double check with SIA. We took all three high back boosters down to Chch on top of our luggage allowance twice now with Air NZ and they don't bat an eyelid.

If you don't have a car seat for your child on take off and landing you will have to have them on you lap as they're under two. With Virgin Atlantic they supplied they're own booster seat, it was brilliant and meant for take off and landing our 13mth could sit on his own. Not sure if Singapore Air have anything like this.

Thanks everyone, much better informed than the Singapore Air staff!

We're still not sure whether to have a car seat on the plane or not. If he was a mellow baby, not having it would be fine but he has the dangerous combination of not only being strong willed but also strong. Hence, the thought of having to restrain him for any longer than take off and landing is quite exhausting. Now if the airplane seat had a 5 point harness there wouldn't be a problem!

Perhaps I should be asking if anyone has had a good experience of using a car seat on a plane?!

Our booster seat is just one of the small ones and I assumed they only put larger objects in the hold but maybe they would be OK.

Cheers

Tia

Still, can't work out if our car seat will fit, anyone tried to use a car seat with Singapore Air only to discover it doesn't fit?

Cheers

Tia

extinctkiwi Guest

Default air nz have max measurments

Hi

we are planning on doing the same for our 5 month old baby in january. We pla to fly with air nz and they have the max sizes on the website in the flying with infants section of the website so would imagine they are quite simliar seats to singapore airlines? Maybe measure the car seat up against those and if it wont fit for air nz then you may have a problem and ask for the relevant figures from singapore airlines they may be able to look into it for you.

Heres the figures for Air New Zealand:
    For a rearfacing seat for those under 9 kg the max width is 43cm and the max height is 48 cm

for a forward facing seat the maximum width is 43cm and max width 65cm

These dimensions apply to B747, B777, B767, B737 and A320 aircraft
    Last edited by extinctkiwi; 12th November 2007 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks,

Yes I'd seen those dimensions but they seem very restrictive, we have 2 forward facing car seats and a friend has another and none of them would comply with that width. That's why I wondered if anyone had found a make that would or wouldn't fit.

I have a vague memory of seeing a Britax car seat similar to ours on the plane last time I flew but obviously didn't go up and have a proper look.

We've asked several people at Air Singapore but they always suggest we ask someone else, as they never know! Life would be a lot simpler if they just let us hire an airline approved one.

I guess we'll just go and see, it probably depends on the day, who you speak to and how helpful they are feeling.

I thought this was an interesting idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Todd.../dp/B000JHN3AS

www.hammacher.com/publish/67232.asp

Might consider this on the way back if the car seat is too big (our sone is 15 months):

www.kidsflysafe.com/index.php

This USA site has got some flying products and tips:

www.flyingwithkids.com/

Car seat thread:

http://www.travelwithyourkids.com/on...t-on-the-plane

Cheers

Ti

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast