Thread: Best way to sell a car

Default Best way to sell a car

Since we're off to OZ sometime soon(ish), we're selling a whole lot of useless stuff that we acquired here. One of the more useful (and expensive) items that we're trying to sell is our car.

So far I have:
    * listed it on trademe (30 views since Sunday)
    * posted an ad on the car window
    * left pin-up ads in several Auckland backpackers
    * listed it at my company's intranet

So far not a single call about the car.

The price that I am giving is moderately steep, because I have to factor in the cost of a rental car before we move (if I sell it now, rental will be expensive, but I could sell the car cheaper later, because of the shorter rental period).

I wonder if anyone would have a suggestion on what are the best ways to sell the car. And any suggestions about timing the sale (I don't want to start selling it the day before we leave and sell it for peanuts, because we HAVE TO get rid of it...)?

What car is it?
    How much is it?
    Where is it?
    When is it availible?

I dont want it (unless its availible the 6th Feb in Napier at the airport for less than a taxi into town) but someone here might do.

Quote Originally Posted by sidabrine View Post
    Since we're off to OZ sometime soon(ish), we're selling a whole lot of useless stuff that we acquired here. One of the more useful (and expensive) items that we're trying to sell is our car.

So far I have:
    * listed it on trademe (30 views since Sunday)
    * posted an ad on the car window
    * left pin-up ads in several Auckland backpackers
    * listed it at my company's intranet

So far not a single call about the car.

The price that I am giving is moderately steep, because I have to factor in the cost of a rental car before we move (if I sell it now, rental will be expensive, but I could sell the car cheaper later, because of the shorter rental period).

I wonder if anyone would have a suggestion on what are the best ways to sell the car. And any suggestions about timing the sale (I don't want to start selling it the day before we leave and sell it for peanuts, because we HAVE TO get rid of it...)?

If it's an expensive car I think you are unlikely to sell it with an advert at the backpackers. If it's been on TM since Sunday, it's only Tuesday today??

If you don't get any calls it could be because it's over priced and you'll need to rethink your plan. Wouldn't you rather sell nearer the time you leave and take the hit, that be left with a car in a different country to you?

Can you take it to a garage and ask if they'll give you an agreed price on the day you leave? I'm sure there was a thread on someone doing this recently?

Hi, thanks for this. Not sure if advertising is allowed in this forum, in any case it is Nissan Primera 1997 and we're looking at getting around $5000. Actually I advertise it as $5600 o.n.o, if we sell now. I'd happy to get around $5000 if we manage to sell just before leaving (in a month or so). And it is in Auckland.

So yes, maybe I'm asking too much right now, but I also don't want to sell it cheaper than I think its worth and then have to hire a car!

I think I was a bit carried away with posting an ad at backpackers. Someone suggested me that a lot of people arrive to Auckland for their holidays and desperately look for cars that they expect to resale few months or a year later. They were suggesting that people come in not knowing local prices (and NZ car prices seem cheap as you arrive into the country from Europe!) and they are in a hurry to hit the road, so you may sell your car for ridiculous prices! But seeing other ads there, I think our car is too nice, most of the other cars are really battered... So maybe I'm just wasting my time with this.

It is a bit humbling to see only 30 views on Trademe, as my other listings, such as a used snorkel and mask, already received 43 (posted on Sunday too)... Argh... How do people choose what to look at on Trademe? Its beyond me...

I tried to look for other threads on this topic, but it seems that most of the advice is about selling your car at UK.

In any case, talking to a dealer would be next step (also because we could time it according to our schedule).

Thanks a lot!

You've got a bit of competition there with 31 other of the same model just in Auckland.

No offence intended but I wouldn't have mentioned you are off to Oz, someone might try and beat you down on the price. Can you take some brighter pics, it just looks a bit dark to actually see the car in the pics (for me anyway )

It does look a nice car and will do someone a treat. Good luck!

Thanks, smiler, for suggestions, I'm waiting for a sunny day to take new pictures (the clouds came just as I took out the camera and I haven't seen sun since...).

Not sure about not mentioning "moving to OZ", doesn't it suggest that it is a genuine sale, why otherwise I want to sell it? They say that it is usually advisable to give a reason for selling, don't they?

Cheers!

Why don't you have a look round the car market at Ellerslie on Sunday mornings? Don't take your car to sell, just have a look round and talk to the vendors and see if you fancy going down that route, then, you could turn up and hopefully sell nearer the time of your departure? I think you have to turn up early.
    k

We had the same problem leaving Cyprus we agreed a date for hand over with a couple so we did not have to hire a car. We did the same in the UK before we left there. Just take a deposit.

I agree do not mention moving to OZ (I used to work for a newspaper small ads) as it will attract bargain hunters. Put new company car forces sale and that you are taking delivery on (the day before you are going)

Are any of the other 31 of the same model having any luck? Phone them and see if its gone if they say yes be cheeky and ask for the price they got.

We should add a shopping thread anyway other sites do it. buy and looking for type thread.

Failing that do you not have anyone you trust to sell it in your abscence, a girl at work sold a friends car for him and he gave her a price and she was told she could keep anything she go over that price.

Ultimatley a car's only worth what someone will pay, so you may need to adjust price?

I've sold/bought my last couple of cars through TradeMe (although your local Turners auctions will sell it for you too?) - IMO have a low start price and a reasonable reserve, that way if it doesn't meet reserve at least you'll know how the market values it.

I would mention going to Oz - buying a 2nd hand car is always a minefield and at least prospective buyers know there's a genuine reason for sale (you can always say a friend will sell it on your behalf after you've left!).

Matt