Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland Northshore

Default Auckland Northshore

Hi there first post!

Arriving in next few months.Been to NZ but not Auckland,where we are going to settle.Got the where to live in Auckland book! and we are thinking of the Northshore city.Also Westlake girls school looks good(I have 3 daughters!)

Anyone live around there,know about that school.

Or Takapuna area,if its not too expensive!! Takapuna Grammer?

Is it right that if you live in the school zone,your kids can go to that school?

Thanks

My understanding is that if you are in the school zone you have a right of entry, (except for private schools /those with entry exams). The zones change frequently and up to date lists should be got from the school web site or office. Younger siblings of children already attending can get in to the school even if the zone has shifted and your house is now considered 'out of zone'.
    I live on the Nshore but I don't know a great deal about those school,(I did an evening class at Takapuna but that's it). No help , sorry.
    My impression, (no facts at all to back it up) is that Auckland is the most expensive area in NZ, North Shore the most expensive part of Auckland and Takapuna probably the most expensive part of North Shore.
    The good news is that I haven't heard of any bad schools on the Shore and you can apply to most schools for an out of zone place if they have space in that yr.
    Debbie

Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

Yes maybe Takapuna is too exp! but I thought there were some more reasonable - ish places around Westlake,or Glenfield?

Anyway do you find the Northshore a good place to live in Auckland,I know its all subjective,but thought it a good idea to try to get some feedback.On paper,well Where to live in Auckland book it seems to tick most box,s for me.But welcome any feedback from anyone already living there.

Thanks

I personally think the 'Where to Live in Auckland' book oversells a bit and having come from the UK I tended to read it in a UK context, so where I expected little UK style villages or high streets after reading the book, turned out to be be 5 shops with a main road running through it.

I live in Devonport and really like it, more for the community and beaches than anything else. I also think there are lots of great areas on the North Shore as long as you understand that because they are so popular there is a lot of subdivision, so not everyone's image of owning a lifestyle property in NZ.

As Debbie mentioned pretty much all the schools on the North Shore are very good. Another good one is Rangitoto College:

www.rangitoto.school.nz

So unless you have a preference for mixed or single sex there isn't much to choose between them.

Takapuna Grammar ( www.takapuna.school.nz/files/home.asp ), has a particular reputation for doing well in the arts and is currently investing a lot in a new performing arts centre ( http://www.takapuna.school.nz/files/...D=1&PageID=433 ), if your children are at all musical or arty they will have access to some amazing resources.

The Electronic Confectionaires are a local band that are doing quite well due to their start at Takapuna Grammar:

http://www.jetmag.co.nz/Music/Bands/...3/Default.aspx

Of course it does well academically but where other colleges may be considered good for sport, Takapuna has a reputation for music etc.

Takapuna Grammar is actually situated between Belmont and Hauraki, both areas have some affordable property, which is quite amazing considering they are sandwiched between two of the most expensive areas on the Shore. I think Belmont has been particularly tipped as an 'up and coming area'. You are also close to a great beach - Narrow Neck. I've posted a description and, a few pages later, a photo of it on this thread:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9190

Anyway check out Hauraki, Belmont and Bayswater on these sites for rental and house prices:

www.nz.open2view.com

www.realestate.co.nz

How old are your girls? I recently had a friend who moved nearer to Takpuna (the place, not the school) for the sake of her teenage daughters who wanted to be there because that was the place all their friends went to hang out. It also has lots of bus routes which meant my friend was no longer 'Taxi Mum'.

Not sure if all these ramblings help!

Cheers

Tia

Hi Tia

Great thanks for the info.The girls are 10/9/6,not fussed about single sex schools at all.And thanks for the N shore location info.
    Hopefully over in Jan to check things out.

Finding a good location is a bit of a daunting task,and checking out the whole of Auckland seems impossible.!How did you decide on the N shore?

Anyway thanks again

You're ahead of me by a few years, I have 3 boys age 6,4 and 1! With the girls ages you will also need a good primary school, once again the majority on the North Shore have a good reputation but if you do live in the belmont/bayswater area then Vauxhall is very good:

www.vauxhall.school.nz

We chose the North Shore as the things that were important to us were, a short commute to the CBD (about 20 mins by car or ferry), a family friendly place, good schools and lots of beaches. Its main downsides are the price and the subdivisions. Some North Shore threads:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9801

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13111

Other places we considered were:

1) Howick - also good schools, probably get a nicer house but a longer commute.

Search for 'Macleans' and you will find plenty of posts by Gil who lives that way and has school aged children.

2) Mission Bay - this had good primary schools, closer commute to CBD, house prices vary depending on which part you are in.

Some more general threads you may find of use:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12174

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10667

I should add that nowhere was as I pictured after reading the 'Where to Live...' book, so get it down to a couple of choices then have a drive around on arrival, maybe stay in a motel for a week in one area, then another week in another area. That way you will get a feel for what it is like to live there and have a real opportunity to visit schools and go to open homes.

Obviously it would be great to step off the plane and choose where to live on day 1, but a couple of weeks of moving about at the start works better when you have children, rather than picking an area, finding out it doesn't suit you and having the children change schools while you try somewhere else.

Cheers

Tia

Hi there

Thanks again for the info.Is Howick on the N/shore or Eastern suburbs.
    The Eastern suburbs also looked nice,but I thought it more exp than N/shore... in general ofcourse.
    Your idea,s are same as mine,good schools,beaches,family freindly,maybe just physiological but the phyisical barrier between the main city and N/Shore is appealing.I wouldnt need to commute.
    Is it possible to get a 3/maybe 4 bed house for around $750,000 in N/shore in a nice area,and in a good school area,or Iam i kidding myself!!!

Thanks again for all the advise

Howick is in the eastern suburbs, in comparison to the 'Takapuna to Devonport end' of the North Shore it is cheaper, I'm not sure how it compares to the East Coast Bays (Browns Bay, Castor Bay etc) and to Albany (North Shore not coastal) and there is always Birkenhead/Northcote on the North Shore as well as a possibility.

I'm mainly familiar with Devonport prices, so in Devonport a nice 3 bed is currently in the $800,000s and a 4 bed about $1 million. But it is one of the most expensive areas on the North Shore, along with certain parts of Takapuna. So I would have thought $750,000 would be absolutely fine for a 3 bed in most areas and would get you a 4 bed in some areas also.

I know I keep going on about the subdivision, but it was one of the things that I wasn't prepared for, so just to let you know that even $1 million homes can have small gardens, possibly have a house in what use to be the back garden and you can often have one of your windows less than a metre away from your neighbours window. In short you don't get much privacy, this is partly due to the popularity of the area and partly because Kiwis seem to have different ideas about privacy.

All estate agent photos are taken close up so you don't realise from pictures, but this is a good site for checking out North Shore property (it can be a bit slow). Type in the address and it will show you an overhead view. If you click the photo option you will be able to see quite a bit of detail!

http://www.nscc.govt.nz/your_neigbou...mation/gis.htm

Here's some links, they should work while the listing is still up:

Belmont - on a very busy road

www.realestate.co.nz/597878

Belmont - walking distance of Takapuna Grammar, Belmont Intermediate and Bayswater Primary. Also near Belmont shops which have Doctors, Dairy, McDonalds, Pharmacist, Hells Pizza, small park etc

www.realestate.co.nz/579563

Bayswater - very near to all the shops/schools of Belmont, it is also going to have a development of the Bayswater Marina, which should mean a better ferry service:

www.realestate.co.nz/593129

This is a 4 bed in Bayswater $775,000

www.realestate.co.nz/576554

Sometimes you need to search under Devonport or Narrow Neck:

Devonport - main road

www.realestate.co.nz/622478

Narrow Neck - short walk to beach and Belmont shops, not priced but I would imagine its in your price range.

www.realestate.co.nz/626419

Devonport - Stanley Bay, one of the smallest houses on the street, but within walking distance of Devonport village and in the catchment area of 2 of the best schools in the area. This one has been on the market for a long time, so would be an exmple of choosing location over property size/style.

www.realestate.co.nz/511425

Of course being a big Devonport fan, I would say if you can somehow raise a bit extra and hit the $800,000s then look round Devonport - but I'm biased!

I'm sure others could give you examples in the Bays, Albany, Howick etc.

Cheers

Tia

We did a lot of looking between Aug - Oct this year around Browns Bay, Campbells Bay, Castor Bay, Mairangi Bay, Murrays Bay, Sunnynook, Rothesay Bay, Forrest Hill when searching for a home. You should definitely be able to find a 3/4 bed house in these areas for under $750,000 dependent on how big the bedrooms need to be, how much land you want, how much lounge space you want. The only thing I don't think you'd get for that size of house in that budget range is a sea view.

The following estate agents seem to do a far amount of business in these areas:
    Barfoot & Thompson www.barfoot.co.nz (I recommend Jo Priestley in the Mairangi Bay branch)
    Harcourts www.harcourts.co.nz (I recommend Jane Watson in the Milford branch)
    Ray White www.raywhite.com (I recommend Debbie Seekup in the Mairangi Bay branch)
    Bayleys www.bayleysnorthshore.co.nz

We purchased through Harcourts and they worked really hard for us to find something we would like.

Agree with Tia about moving around a bit to find an area you really like.

Good luck!
    Anneliese

Thanks to both of you.

This forum is great,just what I need! and thanks for all the links.If everyone is this nice we,ll be fine!

Yes will look around the N shore.Thought had to narrow it down to at least an area,of I,ll be chasing my tail! Not expecting a sea view thats for sure.
    just the holy grail of the nice area!!
    The school is important for the kids ofcourse,but seems they are all good!
    Other than that some shops,and somewhere with a good feel I guess, in my price range!

Perhaps I should ask is there anywhere on the N shore that people wouldnt recommend?

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast