Thread: Complete official academic syllabus / curriculum. What does it mean?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Complete official academic syllabus / curriculum. What does it mean?

In the QAR context, could anyone tell me exactly what a "complete official academic syllabus / curriculum" is?

I have the following documents that could be related:
    • My mark sheet: which is a two page document indicating what disciplines I had in each semester along with itīs degree and itīs total amount of time.
    • A complete description of the Computer Sciences course. Thatīs a huge document (80+ pages) which describes all the aspects of the course and the university. Itīs composed of three sections: General information; Teachers Information and the full description of each discipline.

I really donīt want the "academic syllabus / curriculum" to be the second option because all my documents are in Portuguese and this is going to cost... a lot!

Does anyone know if the first document (which lists all the disciplines but without any description) serves as a "academic syllabus / curriculum" or if I could send this (which has my grades) along with the section of the second document that lists each discipline along with itīs full description?

And I do have a third option: translating all the 80+ pages of the document and ask the University to validate it with a stamp or something like that. I wonder if this is ok...

Lightbulb Don't know if I'll be much help?

Hi Emaino

I've not actually had to do this so don't know 1st hand but when I had to submit my documents for my nurse registration I had to include a transcript from the university where I trained. It basically asked for written proof of hours completed in relevant areas i.e. nursing theory, practice etc. in order that the Nursing Council could assess in terms of it's equivalence to a comparable programme in NZ. Perhaps you could ask your university if they would be able to provide similar documentation? Must be better than submitting at 80 odd page document!?

Hope this is of some help....oh, and good luck!

Sue

I almost freaked out over this one, too, because I thought it would require a lot of info gathering on my part. As it turned out, they merely want to know exactly what classes you took and what the hours/points levels were for each, and a transcript usually tells all of this! So, I merely sent my transcripts for both of the degrees I hold (which lists course names, i.e., 20th Century British Literature, then how many credit hours it was worth, i.e. 4 and the grade points I received for my grade, then at the bottom it had the total number of grade points or hours I received toward my degree, i.e., 134 credit hours for BS in English.)

So, for "complete official academic syllabus / curriculum" I merely sent my transcripts, and that must have been Ok because we are here in NZ, blue stickers and all.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by CjChris View Post
    I almost freaked out over this one, too, because I thought it would require a lot of info gathering on my part. As it turned out, they merely want to know exactly what classes you took and what the hours/points levels were for each, and a transcript usually tells all of this! So, I merely sent my transcripts for both of the degrees I hold (which lists course names, i.e., 20th Century British Literature, then how many credit hours it was worth, i.e. 4 and the grade points I received for my grade, then at the bottom it had the total number of grade points or hours I received toward my degree, i.e., 134 credit hours for BS in English.)

So, for "complete official academic syllabus / curriculum" I merely sent my transcripts, and that must have been Ok because we are here in NZ, blue stickers and all.

Christine
    Christine, you have no idea how relieved I am...

So all I have to do is sent the first document which has each discipline along with my grades and the total credits.

Are you sure they donīt need the full description of each discipline?

eg: Linear Algebra: <full description of the topics covered>

Thanks a lot! This forum rules

I know that somewhere on here I had found a thread discussing this (prob a year ago when I was gathering docs) and someone else was flustered about this and said they had gathered all the complete course descriptions from the course catalogue at their uni and included with their transcripts (as a "just in case" scenario).

Well, I didn't have the exact course catalogue from way back when (!!), and I knew if I did a "cut and paste" from various sources to gather this info it would be A) time consuming and B) too painful for my brain to handle with everything else I needed to do!!

So...I kept searching and found another thread (sorry, no idea where that is now) where someone else said they merely sent transcripts...and their logic made sense to me...and that's what I decided to do, too. I felt it was taking a chance on one level, but on another reckoned that they could ask me for more info should they desire it.

I really don't think we are supposed to reinvent the wheel, but sometimes it feels that way, doesn't it?

Question

Well.. I have the following documents ready to send to the NZQA:

• University Diploma (Computer Sciences)
    • Mark Sheet listing all disciplines I attended along with my grade and the time it took
    • Certificate of conclusion from High School. Lists the disciplines I had along with the amount of time each took. No grades though.

I have the mark sheet from my High School. Does anyone know if I need to sent it too or the High School certificate would be enough?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Hi, again!

I sent my mark sheet, but it was absolutely unreadable (copied on horrible copier apparently and was a hand-written marksheet from 1983!! I swear it was the messiest looking thing and I couldn't believe my guidance dept. sent that as my transcript (mark sheet)!! In any case, I don't think they care what your grades or classes were in high school; they really just want to know that you did graduate and hold that diploma! Seems like uni deploma would prove that, but oh well!

I think your certificate of conclusion should be sufficient but if you have the mark sheet, why not send it? I operated under the advice of someone on here who said, "Send them more than you think is enough just in case! That way they won't have to ask for it later!"

Quote Originally Posted by CjChris View Post

I think your certificate of conclusion should be sufficient but if you have the mark sheet, why not send it? I operated under the advice of someone on here who said, "Send them more than you think is enough just in case! That way they won't have to ask for it later!"
    Well... thereīs a lot of documents that I need to translate for the EOI/ITA... and each one is expensive and time consuming... A single diploma can take as much as 10 days to be translated from an official source...

But I think I gonna take your advice... itīs better to be as prepared as I can...

Thanks for your tips!

oops..Forgot that you have to have these translated....ouch! So, sending more than enough is a very time consuming and costly thing for you.

I don't recall the wording on the NZQA form, but I know they can be quite ambiquous about some things. I'm still looking for a job; maybe I should see if they need someone to rewrite their forms so potential migrants can clearly figure out what they are to send them!

Sorry for that but welcome to the circus anyway! Ask whatever you need to...I promise you are not always stuck with me answering all your questions. Like I said, I don't have a job yet....