Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does a prepaid mobile starter pack cost?

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Default How much does a prepaid mobile starter pack cost?

I checked on the website of phone companies in NZ but they only mention the call charges using their prepaid mobile plans.

How much does a starter pack costs? And how much does each top up costs?

Thanks
    Shagen

Hi Shagen,

I'd suggest buying a phone in the UK & bringing it with you - mobile phones aren't cheap here. They don't seem to do the same as they do in UK and bundle everything up - they don't have contracts the way we do in UK either - so even if you're going on a contract you still have to pay through the nose for the phone.

We brought our phones with us & bought a pre-paid sim-card for $35- ($15- of that is credit for the phone). Call charges are 49c per minute whether you're calling the UK or a NZ number! (pretty good as we've been able to phone home quite a bit). Top up cards can be bought in various amounts at mobile phone stores, the post office - where they transfer the credit whilst you're paying for it & at the cashpoint at some banks.

Hope this helps... (have a look on vodafone.co.nz if you want to check out phone prices here).

Thanks Sarah,

That was very helpful. We are not from the UK and yes the phone prices in NZ are ridiculously high! In comparison to the UK, mobile phones are cheaper in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

I will definitely bring my phones with me! Could even bring a few extra and sell them for a handsome profit :mrgreen:

Shagen

we bought a Vodafone Nokia1110 (i think) $179 pay as you go!

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Did you check out this page at Telecom?

Can you get monthly plans that give you x minutes free? Most US plans provide so many "prime time" minutes and unlimited weekend minutes for a set monthly dollar amount each month (e.g., 400 prime time minutes for two phones for $49 or something like that).

Beach Kiwi,

I checked out the link you gave. For some reason the Nokia models sold by Telecom NZ is not listed on the Nokia Website. Are they dated models or models only sold in NZ?

Just curious!

Shagen

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner
    Can you get monthly plans that give you x minutes free?
    I'm not sure, as I rarely use a mobile, and mine is a pre-paid. You should check out the Vodafone and Telecom sites mentioned in this thread, as they may have such information. :cool

To shagen:

I don't know for certain, but I think Telecom does a deal with it's suppliers that gives it exclusive 'rights' to certain models of phone.

You should check out the Vodafone and Telecom sites
    You're right, Beach, I should have done that. ops:
    The site you listed does have tons of info, including their monthly plans.

I must say they are *quite* expensive. :eek

As a comparison, we currently get free evening and weekend calls and 400 "prime time" minutes for less than US$75/month. Telecom's "Anytime Go 400" costs NZ$213/month. :eek

This begs a question - do most NZ companies provide cells or pagers for their employers? Or do they subsidize telecom costs? When my company wanted me to have a cell, it was given to me and the cost paid by the company. My husband's current employer pays up to US$150 (I think?) per month for him to cover the cost of a cell and broadband from home.

Do NZ companies follow either approach?

The downside of US companies giving you cells/broadband is that you have to be "always on" even on vacation, weekends, etc.

Perhaps the NZ way of life is more relaxed? Are your evenings and weekends really your own?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner
    This begs a question - do most NZ companies provide cells or pagers for their employers? Or do they subsidize telecom costs?
    Hard to say for sure, as it would vary from company to company. However, I can't say I've heard of any companies that expect you to use your own phone for company business, indeed, the only situations I'm aware of are those in which the company *does* provide the phone. There may be smaller businesses where they would work out some other kind of deal with you if they don't give you a phone, but I'd be surprised if there were any medium to large sized ones that would do that.

The downside of US companies giving you cells/broadband is that you have to be "always on" even on vacation, weekends, etc.
    Just giving someone a 'work' cellphone isn't going to make most, if not all Kiwis give up their 'freedom'. Lots of companies have people who are on 'call' for emergencies, so they are expected to be available at any time, but that would rarely be expected of every employee.

Are your evenings and weekends really your own?
    Pretty much, but there are obvious exceptions, like medical, power supply situations, etc. :cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast