Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving License query - swap UK one or do we have to sit a test?

Default Driving License query - swap UK one or do we have to sit a test?

Hi all, I have a question if you would be so kind.
    I think we can drive on a UK license for up to 6 months in NZ (from my previous visits to the country.
    Do we then do a swap for the kiwi one (like my OH did over here) or do we have to sit a test?
    Things change so quickly these days just wondering what is the latest protocol
    Thank you !

Check out this link for details:-http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Basically, you can drive on UK license for upto 12 months, then you will need to take a theory test.

Ian

Default Driving

Thanks Ian, I'll check the link out. At least taking a theory test won't be something I have to do immediately.

Just thought I would let you know a few more useful tips.

All the theory test question are online, and there are also online tests that you can do to practice.

For those coming from the UK, IMO the test is fairly easy (only 35 questions) but there are a few things that you need to learn that are NZ specific e.g. the give-way rule etc.

The 12 months starts from when you last arrived in NZ, so if you leave e.g. to visit UK, then the 'clock' is reset (Still best to take the test anyway).

Ian

Can you take the test if you are on a visitor's visa?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria View Post
    Can you take the test if you are on a visitor's visa?
    I don't see why not, didn't think you would have a visitor visa longer than 12 months so wouldn't be needed. Might be worth reading the link I posted previously, although most people prefer not to take tests?

Not sure what you would do about the address where they would need to send the license to?

If you just want to try the test out of interest, then the online tests are good, or you can actually buy the test papers to try the real thing.

Regards
    Ian

As Ian says you can buy practice test papers. These are available from a local AA shop and the practice papers are the same as the actual papers.

As for the test, it is not difficult, even I passed.

If you're worried, buy a copy of the Road Code for Drivers (most bookshops and AA offices sell them). The theory exam is basically just a memory quiz on what's in the book (some of the pictures were remarkably similar from what I recall )

Dougie

Smile Uk to NZ drivers licence

It looks like this is about to change - but not sure when - so ultimately there will be no need to take the theory test if you come from UK, OZ or most of europe ! have a look at -
    http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/consultation...7/q-and-a.html

The amendment is going through parliament now (don't know how long things take to get past MP's here - probably ages if anything like the UK system)!

Regards Neil

Brilliant Neil! Many thanks for putting this in.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast