Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fireman.

Default fireman.

I am thinking of applying for a job as a UK fireman, the salary after training is about £27000,
    Does anyone know if this woud be a career that would be transferable to new zealand in say 2 years time?
    would new zealand recruit a uk trained firefighter? plus what would the salary be over there?
    I should be ok to get in to new zealand anyway as my wife is a teacher, but out of interest i wonder if a firefighter would be considered skilled enough.

most firemen are volunteers in NZ well I know they are around here anyway, but heres the website and they have a careers page. http://www.fire.org.nz/

Kat

I will go along with what Kat is telling you that the majority of Firefighters out here are from the voluntary sector. They have full timers in the cities though and these are known as career firefighters. I can find out more info for you as my neighbour is a volunteer if you so wish.

Kim
    Last edited by Kim39; 18th November 2007 at 09:55 PM.

They're all volunteers round here too - and what a great bunch they are... some have been doing it for over 25 yrs on a voluntary basis.

From the beginning of next year the starting salary for a trainee firefighter will be $694 per week before tax, and the starting wage once in a station will be $765 per week (again, before tax) but overtime is available.

http://www.fire.org.nz/recruit/job-i...on/salary.html

I have been a firefighter in the uk for the past 10 years and am on a sabatical in NZ . Nothing I have done is taken into consideration if I were to apply to the NZ fire service. I would have to start from scratch !!! (still a rewarding job though.) There are full time jobs as ff in the cities and large towns, but the majority are voluntary. Salary for fulltime, from vivid memory when I looked into it, was about $48,000 + overtime for a ff. Pension was more of a saving scheme, for every $1 you threw in, the govt. threw in $1.40 after tax. Lump sum at retirement ! Same shift as UK though 4 days on 3 days off.
    This is Nicola's OH, 1st time on a computer!!!! I was looking to PM somebody because she's had a riding accident and broken her leg! and I dont Know how to do it ? I should have payed attention all those years ago !

I was looking to PM somebody because she's had a riding accident and broken her leg! and I dont Know how to do it ? I should have payed attention all those years ago !
    NOOOOOOO - is she okay????

Oh Poor Nic, give her my best wishes, hope she's back in the saddle soon

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    NOOOOOOO - is she okay????
    Please send our best wishes to Nicola .

Marie x

I TOLD her they were horrible animals , poor nicola, hope you get better soon, with no long term damage, and hope it doesn't put you off buying your horse.

Nic's OH to send a PM click on the persons name and a list should drop down and you can choose personal message, or you can go to their profile and there is an option there for send personal message. to find a person, go to members list (link at top of page)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast