Thread: Import restrictions

Default Import restrictions

Hi,

Although Viv and I have not actually started the paperwork ball rolling (this will happen in March when our Daughter's residency gets to the three year milestone) we have been getting our organising hats on.

My question relates to what is and what isn't a problem with regards to importing personal effects into 'Godzone'. For instance we have some whicker furniture, leather furniture, wooden furniture both new and antique (family heirlooms) -- no active woodworm -- and a mercury barometer.

Any advice or information would be gratefully received

Andy

Hi and good luck with the paper chase once it gets going.

Whicker furniture can be brought in but must be declared and MAF will probably want to clean it which will be at your expense or you'll be given the option of having it destroyed. You could get it treated before you leave but you'd need to have receipt/certificate to show MAF and they may still want to get it cleaned once it arrives here.

We brought in wooden furniture both new and antique without any problems. MAF will probably want to inspect for signs of woodworm, again there are charges for each item that is inspected. I can't say whether they inspected ours or not as it was all done at the removal company depot.

If you look a the MAF website http://www.maf.govt.nz/ and do a search on the Forum for more posts on this subject I'm sure you'll find plenty of info and advice to help.

Anneliese

Hi Anneliese,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank you for the info.

I checked up the MAF site as you suggested and reading it is like trying to untangle a wool ball that my cat has been playing with!!!! But hey, I've got plenty of time yet.

Andy