Thread: Batteries...AA, D Size, C Size etc

Default Batteries...AA, D Size, C Size etc

Is it worth getting a couple of toolboxes and filling 'em with Duracell batteries and shipping them across (most everything has them in these days) or are they a decent price in NZ?

I apologize in advance for the rash of what may appear as stupid questions but we are moving over the first week in 2008.

Ta

Gareth

I wouldn't bother bringing over too many, they may leak while coming over in your container, or run out of shelf-life before you get to use them.

Would just recommend bringing over enough for your immediate needs and maybe a replacement set.

If you do use a lot of batteries then you should change over to rechargables anyway.

Not too sure if they are a good price compared to the UK or not, I just buy them when I need them.

If you post what sizes you are interested in, sure someone will post approx costs for you, so you can decide for yourself.

Ian

Hi Ian,
    At present I can get (from Costco) Duracell AA Ultra M3's (very high power for Digital cameras etc) for around 7 - 8 for 4 x 4packs (16 batteries) dated to 2012, these are my main usage but everything that doesn't plug in has 2 or more of 'em in..remote controls, my son's R/C cars have 8 in each controler, torches with AA, U2's (D size), pp9's in my Guitar Effects pedals and smoke alarms, SP11's (C Size) in various bits of kit but mainly it's AA's that I use.

Is there a Costco in NZ by the way?

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Have been looking to give you a comparison price for batteries but it seems like all the shops I look in don't sell duracell?

Energizer or Panasonic seem much more popular.

If you want to compare some yourself, then I can suggest Dick Smith Electronics (DSE) it's a bit like Maplins but more common.

AFAIK, There are no Costco stores in NZ.

If you do want to buy in bulk then I did come across RS Components (NZ) website which sells them in bulk (try www.rsnewzealand.com and search for batteries).

Not sure that I understand their pricing but if I read it right, the cost for 24 AA batteries would be NZ$26.70 + GST which depending on the exchange rate would be very similar price to Costco.

So the choice is yours, one last point if you do decide to buy loads of batteries before you come to NZ, be aware that if customs believe that you are importing them for resale then they will charge you duty on them, so best not get too many?

Ian

I swapped over to NiMH batteries few years ago and I'm pretty sure they have paid for themselves several times over by now. Go to somewhere like Dick Smiths www.dse.co.nz to see if it is worth buying them in the UK or here.

I am no expert on this (sure others would be) But if you was to ship a load of new batteries as you suggest, would Customs not be doing you, or at least charging you for import duty?

I could be wrong of course? lol