Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salvage, stuffed animals and nocturnal sheep

Default salvage, stuffed animals and nocturnal sheep

Just had an interesting weekend - thought I'd tell you about it, and also ask a question.

Yesterday we went to Auckland, to Burrell's demolition yard in Mount Eden to look for salvage stuff for our new house - what a treasure trove! Loads of lovely old doors, sinks, fireplaces - I was like a kid in a sweet shop. If you're looking for character stuff or renovating a house, I recommend it, just don't take the stuff with my name on it!

Then we went to Ponsonby for lunch - loved it! Finally found some clothes I like and had my first clothes buying spree since I arrived. Great.

then we went to Auckland museum - the Natural History floor of it - we all thought we'd died and gone to heaven.. There's nothing my family likes more than staring at trays of amazing bugs, and cabinets full of stuffed birds. We LOVED it, especially the box full of live cockroaches. Oh, it was great, we're defo going back soon.

Then, we got home, had bath etc and decided to camp the night on our new land. Our house is at the planning stage and we won't be living there until next September, but I wanted to spend the night there, so we could listen to the dawn chorus and enjoy the absolute peace and quiet. Well, it wasn't quite like that .... As soon as we got there, we could hear it. The sound of a million sheep bleating. "Don't worry" I said to Justin, "sheep aren't nocturnal, it must be something they do at dusk or something, they'll stop in a minute". Ha! They did it ALL night, never ending bleating, it sounded like a weird version of a male voice choir, there were bass ones and treble ones, and one very high pitched one that sounded like he was being strangled.

It carried on all night. The birds started at 5am, and they were lovely, and quite loud, but I think the sheep had the edge. Their plaintive bleating was never ending. We left at 10am to go and get some peace and quiet in town, and they were still baaing defiantly as we drove down the hill.

So my question is - IS THIS NORMAL???? I've never heard of sheep causing a noise nuisance before. Come to think of it, I've never heard of nocturnal sheep before. Do you think the farmer is feeding them P???

Wait until they have the "raves " normally just after they have been shorn as they like to let their wool down

Sam!! This is New Zealand! What the heck did you expect?

Hmmm, they sound like vampire sheep to me. Be very careful.

No, but seriously - do sheep usually bleat ALL NIGHT?

Husband (who is an ex-farmer) says it usually happens when the lambs have just been weaned.

Well, I hope they get over it soon.

Perhaps they're auditioning for this

http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/

Ohhh sounds like a nice weekend Sam!

That happened when we moved in here last November. On our 1st night, the OH and I huddled in bed listening to peacocks and pheasants screech and the possum munching on the grapefruit next to the bedroom window. The sheep were making the most horrendous racket ALL night and for the next week or so.

We found out later they were being weaned. We've got sheep and lambs next to the house now and usually they're pretty quiet unless they sense something is wrong, so I'm sure yours will hush up soon.

Just don't fire up the BBQ!

Hi Sam

As JoJo said it is fairly normal, especially when the lambs have been weaned, which could be a possibility this time of year.

As for the demolition place sounds really interesting. did they have any old pot belly stoves or old wood burners? We are looking for one for are house. Only 10 days till we move and counting!!!!

Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast