Thread: Wellington/Waikanae commuting times?

Default Wellington/Waikanae commuting times?

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone living along with Kapiti coast knows what the commuting times are like from Waikanae? Properties up that way seem lovely and I understand there is a good school (Kapanui?). My husband will be working in CBD and will probably need his car for 'site' visits so cannot rely entirely on public transport - can this journey be done in roughly an hour during rush hour?

Many thanks,

Twig

Hi Twig
    I normally train but when I drive in (Waikanae side of Pram) it normally takes 45 mins to the Aotea Quay junction leaving anytime between 6:45-7:15am. Depends on where in the CBD you'll be working as the terrace tunnel sometimes snarls up. I would say 1 hour would be achievable to the north side of town. Return trip can be longer especially of Friday as traffic often queues SH1 through Pram.

Trains from Pram take 1 hour (there is connecting bus from Waikanae) and there is one train a day to/from Waikanae that takes about the same (costs more though); leave Waikanae about 7:25 am and returns 5:20pm.
    Kapanui has a good rep.
    Waikanae's a nice place. Some of it is retirement-ville but becoming popular with families.

There is talk of a second bridge over the Waikane river and also extending the train line (electric) to Waikanae which will help and should dive up house prices.
    Steve

IMO Waikanae would be at least an hour and a quarter from the CBD most weekdays by car - I've done it via motorbike a couple of times and it's been a good hour!

Hi Guys,

how much does the train cost approx from Waikanae to CBD. OH hopes to work in CBD but we had heard parking is expensive so would train be best option. Is it a 'pleasant' journey or traffic ridden. At the moment he drives 70 - 80 mins round backroads to Reading but 60 mins easy driving would be a pleasant change.
    Now he's seen someone does it by bike OMG

It takes me 50 - 65 minutes (50 min is middle of the day or at night) from Waikanae to Welly by car. I don't go all that often, but I do usually end up driving near or during rush hour when I do. It's a pleasant drive as far as I'm concerned except for the Paremata Roundabout when it's busy. The highway is mostly a two lane rd with occasional passing lanes.

The latest I've read on the electrification of the rail out to Waikanae is from a report a few months ago by the Waikanae Community Board that says the Greater Wellington Regional Council has it scheduled to happen before new trains are planned to be added in 2010/2011. (Hopefully that will be the case. I notice when things are scheduled they take a long time to actually happen due to funding, public submissions, changing council priorities, etc... Whenever it does happen, it will cause changes on Elizabeth St., but unless you look at buying a house on that street it will not be much of an issue for you.)

Until the electrification extension, there is still one train from Waikanae to Welly and back each day as IncredibleHulse mentioned. It's the Capital Connection.

Sorry I don't know fare costs.

Mels - also worth checking out www.metlink.org.nz This should show bus and rail options. I think the capital connection from Waikanae is about 13 dollars a day but you can get a 10 trip and probably a Monthly pass. A monthly train pass from Pram is 216 dollars currently

thanks Guys, will look at metlink later, need to dash for school 'walk' right now