Thread: Fruit & Veg

Default Fruit & Veg

I love fruit and veg and I am not afraid to try anything.

Are there any other fruits or veggies that we don`t get in Uk that I can
    look forward to trying when we get to NZ????

Does the `kiwi ` fruit originate from NZ??????????

Is fruit BIGGER than here in UK??

Can we get sprouts??????????????????????????????????
    ops: ops: ops: ops:

jan xx

Default Fruit and Veg

Ohmigosh, I don't know where to start! But I am inclined to reply because I was very worried about this too, we are so fortunate here in Southern California (and the rest of the US for that matter) to have so many wonderful things available to us. Yes, the kiwi fruit is from there, but it is a little different, at least the ones we bought. Not so sour, tasted more like a pear. And there is this sweet potato thing, kumara I think? that is native, they make it into fries (chips) at some places. Look for organic foods though, one of the biggest surprises we had was that NZ sprays a lot of pesticide!! Well, maybe not a lot, but in contrast to what our ideas were about the agriculture there (green), there are a lot more chemicals involved that I would have thought. There are farmstands all around, that is so great. You'll have fun with your adventures in food! :cool

I hate to split hairs, but the fruit that is sold the world over as "Kiwi fruit" is actually a variation on the original. This was or probably still is the Chinese Gooseberry.

You're right Timbo. Here follows a bit of hair splitting:

The kiwi fruit is NOT a native of NZ. It actually is the Chinese Gooseberry and it did originate in China (funny that eh).

When I was last over visiting the inlaws in NZ (last April) I remember there was some 'hoo haa' going on regarding this particular fruit. When it was introduced into NZ it really 'took off' and it became very popular. It was kind of renamed the Kiwi Fruit - but nothing was ever registered.

Then - over the last couple of years, the Chinese farmers (canny little fellows that they are) decided to register the name Kiwi Fruit - but only for the fruits grown in China. Following so far?

So now, the fruits which are grown in NZ can't officially be called Kiwi Fruit. I think they now go under the strange name of Zespre or something like that.

This is one of those odd cases which really makes no difference to 'Joe Public'. I still call them Kiwi fruit regardless to where they've been grown, I can hand on heart say that I've never gone into a shop and asked for some Chinese Gooseberries or some Zespre ..... just doesn't have the same ring does it.

Also - another fruit to look out for is the Fijoa. Really tasty and one of the best natural laxatives known to mankind.

Diny

Jan

Things are a lot more seasonal here than in UK. I haven't seen fresh sprouts, it's not the season, but have bought frozen. Dave's actually planted some in the garden so they will probably appear in season. Kumara (sweet potato) chips are brilliant - so tasty . Leeks are $1.39 each at the moment :eek and there is something that I haven't tried that is a mix between a cauliflower and broccoli - think of a green cauliflower - I've forgotten the name of it - supposed to be sweeter than broccoli. At over $4 each I'm going to wait until we are rich Pumpkin and squash are more prevalent, but they are also in UK shops nowadays. Then there are yams, which I haven't tried.

I think that most of the fruit here is also available in the UK so I haven't come across anything new.

second what Sandra has said, things go out of season here which was a bit of a shock to me coming from the UK, but you can get most everything at its right time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Sandra
    ...and there is something that I haven't tried that is a mix between a cauliflower and broccoli - think of a green cauliflower - I've forgotten the name of it - supposed to be sweeter than broccoli.
    Here in the US we have that, it's called Brocoflower (cross between Broccoli and Cauliflower). I recently have become enlightened to Asparagus Broccoli

If you are in Chch take a trip down Marshlands Road on the way to Kaipoi - there are loads and loads of fruit and veg stalls/shops/pick your own along there

Don't forget Tamarillos!!