Thread: Rolleston Canterbury

Question Rolleston Canterbury

Thinking about this as location to live and commute into CHC - anyone got any views/opinions they'd like to share? Rentals seem quite good and plenty to choose from, what about primary school, cafes, supermarkets etc? Have looked on web but any 'hands on' viewpoints would be welcomed

Thanks
    Karen

Hi Karen

we looked very briefly at Rolleston - It just did'nt work for us - seemed a little soulless some how ? We settled on Rangiora & we enjoy a sence of community here . We have a nice high st to potter down on a saturday & quite a few cafe's & nice places to eat too , we even have a sushi bar .

JMO but hope it helps

vic

Yes I'd agree with that too, when we were looking around we dismissed Rolleston as too far out for our teenage lad to get into town , but also got the feel that it was brand new were as Rangiora has a bit more history and depth , if you know what I mean.

In all honesty it's a personal choice and one that you cant really make till you're here. We were actually dead set on Rolleston, Templton , that sort of area but once we got here it just didnt feel right .
    Ben

I live in the city but commute to work in Rolleston, it takes 30 - 45 minutes to get from Rolleston to just about anywhere in the city depending on time of day, traffic ect.., were planning to move to Rolleston soon.

My take on Rolleston is that it's a growing town but still has a safe small town atmosphere, there are a lot of newly built houses there, it has that friendly suburban culdesac feel about it and reminds me of the suburban America I saw on TV back in the 80's, there is a school, a nice library and community centre, a new world supermarket, a plaza with some shops, a doctors and dentists office, a few restaurants and a service station.

It's also just a short drive to Hornby which has a lot of shops, restaurants ect...

Rolleston has a lot going for it but if your going to work in the city then you may want to consider the commute time and cost of fuel.
    Last edited by constablechuck; 1st December 2007 at 09:24 AM.

I should just like to reiterate what Constablechuck has said. Perhaps a secound opinion may help.

Lots of new houses being built, therefore amenities to cater to the population.

You are a good 20KM from the centre of Christchurch though and the Blenheim Road can get fairly congested during, 'rush hour'.

Thanks folks really good to have some honest feedback. After doing loads of research our gut feeling was originally Rangiora or Kaipoi (if not somewhere in CHC) but were worried about length of commute. However, we commute now and maybe just have to put up with it

Oh well will decide when we get there I suppose just trying to narrow down the search area
    Thanks
    Karen

Hi Karen,

we commute from Ohoka (mid way between Rangiora and Kaiapoi) and it takes 25-35 mins. Out of rush hour we use the main road and its 25 mins to the city centre. in rush hour, we use a back route that avoids the two main roads both of which get pretty busy and thats normally 30 - 35 mins. (compared to our 1.5 hr each way - this is a piece of cake for us, but its all relative. lots of people we work with think we live in the sticks!)

when we were property hunting, we read some earlier posts about Rolleston that likened it to Milton Keynes (now I quite like Milton Keynes for shopping, but am not sure I personally would have wanted to live there, but obviously lots of people do - again it has a slightly american feel IMHO). I've only been to Rolleston once and briefly, but its as the others said, a new town. I think it will have a lot of facilities etc and is def a growing area, however we wanted space and peace and like Vic, we liked Rangiora 'old worlde/cafe' feel and enjoy having it five mins down the rd as an alternative to Christchurch, so I guess it just depends on what your 'criteria' are.

Good luck! wherever you end up, there will be lots of people willing to help you settle in!

Hi Karen
    I am renting in Rolleston at present with my wife,Tracy and our 4 daughters. I agree with most of the earlier replies as it depends on what you want when you move to NZ.
    We originally rented in Parklands while waiting for our furniture which is a nice area and house/rental prices are higher there than many areas in ChCh.
    Rolleston is still a new, growing town. I work out of Hornby so I have gone from spending 90 bucks a week on fuel to 90 bucks every 2 and a bit weeks.
    If you want a nice new 4 bed 2 bath house, there are plenty to choose from in Rolleston and reasonably priced, I guess, compared to suburbs nearer city centre.
    It is an ideal place to buy a section and self build.
    Wait till you get to NZ and check out the place, it might be what you are looking for and then again you might hate the place.