Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun shine..............who to believe

Default Sun shine..............who to believe

National News

>> Home >> National News

Researcher says to soak up a little sun

By DAVID EAMES

Contrary to popular belief, regular stints under the summer sun, without sunscreen, may be beneficial, says Auckland University researcher Robert Scragg.

He believes "pale people" need about 10 minutes a day in the sun without sunblock, and the darker-skinned - including Maori and Pacific Islanders - could stand at least 20 minutes.

The sun is a rich source of vitamin D, and just five minutes in the outdoors can provide up to 20 times the dose contained in a typical vitamin tablet, he says.

Dr Scragg, a researcher at the university's medical and health sciences school, believes low vitamin D levels can be a factor in a number of health conditions, including heart disease and strokes.

Maori and Pacific Islanders are susceptible to low vitamin D levels, and higher instances of related illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease, he says.

"Sunlight is responsible for 80 to 90 per cent of the vitamin D our bodies take in. So really, there isn't anything else we can do but get some sun."

The Cancer Society remains wary of the sun. Auckland health promotions manager Wendy Fulton says everyone, regardless of race, should stay in the shade during the danger hours of 11am to 4pm.

"Our recommendation is that over the summer months people be extremely careful because the risk of skin cancer and melanomas are very high.

"We acknowledge there is an issue about vitamin D, but people should be able to get enough vitamin D if outside in the sun outside of those high-risk times."

Wendy Fulton says anyone venturing out during the peak sunshine hours should cover up with sunscreen.

"We have to be very careful because Maori and Pacific Islanders can still get melanoma. We don't want anyone getting the idea that it is good to be out there getting sunburned."

Dr Scragg says people are unlikely to burn after 10 minutes' exposure to the sun, and burn-time estimates are based on "slight, minimal redness" of the skin.

"I am not encouraging people to spend hours in the sun, but there is strong and growing evidence that vitamin D can protect us from many diseases.

"As a species, we evolved in the sun. It is only in the past 100 years or so we have moved indoors."

funny that, we used to know a chemist who lived in our village and he reckoned that skin cancer wasn't much around before sun screen. OK there are a lot of package holidays around now that weren't then so a lot of folks had sudden exposure to the sun and got burnt but he reckons that before sunscreen people got a base tan early in the year and were more careful when it got really hot.

When we lived in Switzerland for a few months a lot of the local kids there needed Vit K injections because of a deficiency caused by a lack of sunlight.

Have to be v.careful here in NZ tho, the UV rays are shockingly fierce. We spent two hours on one of the western beaches at Christmas, the whole time we were there it was pretty thick cloud cover and I still got sunburned. It was a real eye opener (and forehead stinger!) :eek .

The strength of the sun here in NZ is frightening. My 11mth baby has better tanned legs than any of us and he spends most of his time in the shade and has sun screen applied as much as everyone else!!! We are assuming he gets it through reflection and because he sits most of the time outside his legs are more prone to catching the sun!!

I believe there is something in the Vit D story, however at this time of year feel it is best to stick with the sunscreen for now and hope this is enough.

Don't forget that the clouds only block the suns heat, not the rays. so it is easier to burn because you don't feel as hot.

Veronica,

Agree your comments - regrettably I only learnt through painful experience (painful for my family that is, as I continually bleated about feeling sore ). Being a pamepered pom from the Northern Hemisphere, it is difficult to comprehend the strength of the sun and UV rays here until you experience it. When they say slip,slap,slop etc etc - you had better believe it!

Lee

I had several moles removed several years ago, NOTHING wrong with them, and my consultant, said that I was better having some time in the sun regulary and getting a slight tan, thank staying out of the sun completely and accidently getting burnt to a crisp at the first exposure as I would have not natural resliance.

Have kept to that, haven't really burnt in 10 years (maybe once or twice a slight pink but gone by next day), and use sun cream frequently start on high move down. In mexico in October I was down to factor 4 last few days, and I am fair skinned.

So I am sticking with the idea that a little does you good but be careful, and I know NZ is differnt and will prepare myself.

Some time in the Sun and a swim in the sea is better than a lot of vitamin tablets.

Some time in the Sun and a swim in the sea is better than a lot of vitamin tablets.
    Sooo true, and there's the benefits of the swim, the soothing salt water, the reflexology effect of the sand and pebbles on your bare feet and the feeling of wellbeing damn, time for a skinny dip I think.. it's 2am and soooo warm

This was in the papers in the UK abour 2 years ago re the same opinion.

Also that wearing suncream can also give you a false sense of security where people stay in the sun too long.

jo

Moorf you're just being perverted ...... you won't get much benefit from the sun at 2 am.

Diny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast