Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rule about BMI/Waist measurements?

Default New rule about BMI/Waist measurements?

Hi everyone

I hope the title of this message didn't scare anyone. I know lots of people have queried this on recent posts.

I was on the phone to a relative today who suggested that there was a new rule about the BMI/waist measurement for potential immigrants. Does anyone know if this is fact or just the 'via the grape vine' hearsay that usually happens between relatives in our family.

Just interested to know because while we are not obese, we, like a lot of people, are carrying a few extra pounds and this would seriously be depressing if we were declined based on this alone. Ok - on with the diet.

Thanks everyone

New rule? Do you have any details on what it supposedly was?
    The current guideline is a BMI of under 35 and a waist of 102cm for men 88 for women. If you have a BMI of over that you can expect extra tests on the medical.
    If everything else is good and you are denied for health reasons due to a high BMI you can apply for a medical wavier (though there is no guarantee on that of course).

Hi there

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just got my knickers in a twist this morning as I feared there was some kind of hard and fast rule about being overweight.

Do the BMI rules apply to everybody, ie if we applied based on my partner's skills could they still decline me because of my BMI if it was over 35, despite me not being the main applicant?

Ali

you're not automatically declined if your BMI is over 35- you just need extra tests. They may decline you after those tests, but you never know.

And yes, it applies to everyone trying to come into NZ regardless if they are the primary applicant or not.

just a note to add

the rule from NZIS states that if BMI is greater than 35 and/or waist is over 102cm for men, then the extra tests have to be done.

my BMI was fine 33.5 but waist line was 106cm - no concessions for a stocky prop forward then despite the OK BMI - extra tests were done anyway

48 days to go

[QUOTE=BkyMonster;167542]New rule? Do you have any details on what it supposedly was?
    The current guideline is a BMI of under 35 and a waist of 102cm for men 88 for women. If you have a BMI of over that you can expect extra tests on the medical.
    /QUOTE]

My BMI was 29 and my waist exactly 88cm, I wouldn't consider myself particularly obese, just a regular size 14 lady. So it's back again today for further tests ( and futher costs! )

I'll let you know the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    New rule? Do you have any details on what it supposedly was?
    If everything else is good and you are denied for health reasons due to a high BMI you can apply for a medical wavier (though there is no guarantee on that of course).
    Seeing as this is a world wide public forum, thought I should just point out that the measurements for waist are actually a little bit more complicated.

From the Medical Examiners Handbook

Measure the waist circumference of all applicants 20 years of age and over where the BMI is ≤35. With a tape
    measure, comfortably measure the shortest circumference that is below the rib cage and above the umbilicus.
    The Medical Examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids when the waist circumference in applicants
    20 years or over is greater than the following limits:
    > men ≥ 102cm, except Asian / Indian men ≥ 90cm
    > women ≥ 88cm, except Asian / Indian women ≥ 80cm.
    Ian

huh, I wonder why it's different for asian/indian people...

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    huh, I wonder why it's different for asian/indian people...
    It is to do with metabolic syndome, see The IDF Consensus Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome which details the waist sizes of concern.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast